hitting head when using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently got a BP/W. This is the second time I have tried it and the first time I have used the crotch strap with it. Both times I am hitting my head on the 1st stage of my regs (Mares V16). I only have a short super steelie tank so I can't move the strap up and down a whole lot. I didn't have this problem when I used by regular back inflate BC with the super steelie tank, but I did if I use regular steel tanks that are longer. does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
mel

I kinda get used to it.

If I can't touch the first stage with the back of my head, it means that I can't reach the valve back there, and that's bad. It is a balance.

Are you using an STA? What wing are you using?

Some wings allow you to put the tank lower if you're not using an STA since the slots are closer together.

Hey Mel, don't listen to him.... he's got really funky license plates on his car!

<chuckling>

Randy43068:
Hey Mel, don't listen to him.... he's got really funky license plates on his car!

<chuckling>
Yeah, I forgot to put the "I'm in a diving cult, and all of my opinions were handed down to me from the Cult Leader" disclaimer on my post :icon_roll

I noticed I was having the same problem, and Johnnythan makes a really good point.

I brought it up with the dive shop I purchased it from, and basically it was, youre not going to be able to look way way up... I've adjusted, and can now look forward while swimming horizontally with my head positioned just so it does not touch.

All in all, its something that if you continue to dive with it, you should get used to it. My .02

Definetly not a problem for me, i dont think that "getting used to it" is a good solution either. Maybe its the reg, I use SP MK25/10 and they route down rather than into your head.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using a Black Arts plate and wing which are an australian brand. I don't have a STA so I'll try playing around with the positioning, but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

mel

There's a very easy fix for this which I did; just turn the tank around so the reg barrel is on the far side of the tank. This only works if you have 2 HP ports; that way you can switch the port your SPG/console is in and it will still route to the left. Then you switch around a few LP hoses and you're all set. The other thing is that the tank valve is now on the other side of the tank, but IMO you can easily get used to that. Now the yoke knob is facing your head, but since it's lower you won't bump into it.

As someone else posted, you could try leaving the reg barrel on the near side of the tank but pointing it down; you still have to switch some hoses. That didn't work on my set up as the barrel basically disappeared into the wing. I have a fairly large reg (MK15) and a flat plate (jet harness) which REALLY puts the reg near the back of my head, and I bumped no matter how low I adjusted the tank, until only the bottom cam strap was holding it and it was clearly too low for trim/comfort. This was a much better solution for me and I hope it works for you too.

gives new meaning to "knot head" doesn't it?
I'm going to have to move mine up a little becaus I can't reach the valve well at all.

Back
Top Bottom