Kayak Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversjobs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone out there with experience doing Diving from Kayak....

I'm planning to start diving solo, shallow dives (max 12 meters...) .... I have to setup the kayak for this idea... anyone has done something like this before?

Cheers

I tried it once with an inflatable Diveyak. It was very easy as the yak was very stable. I could move around to get the gear tethered in the water without worrying of tipping. Also, getting back in was easier than I thought because of the stability. The yak towed nicely with my dive flag, but was a little tough against the wind. The yak was already set up nicely with all the tie downs, etc., so I can't offer advice on how to set up a regular kayak for diving. Lots of tether lines, I guess.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Paco:
I tried it once with an inflatable Diveyak. It was very easy as the yak was very stable. I could move around to get the gear tethered in the water without worrying of tipping. Also, getting back in was easier than I thought because of the stability. The yak towed nicely with my dive flag, but was a little tough against the wind. The yak was already set up nicely with all the tie downs, etc., so I can't offer advice on how to set up a regular kayak for diving. Lots of tether lines, I guess.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Were you able to do two single tank dives from the yak or did you have to return to shore to switch tanks?

DennisS:
Mark Theobold has a good book out "the Kayak Divers Bible"

http://www.kayakdiving.com/KD_TOC.html

I agree. MARK THEOBOlD'S info (I think it comes in disk form now) is a GREAT RESOURCE. I teach the PADI Kayak Diver specialty course, which I think was patterned after his book. Very informative and I find it very helpful.

I can switch out 80's on my kayak, but I recommend you practice a ton in VERY calm water before doing it in the ocean, and be VERY careful when your hatch is open...

Mark_N:
Were you able to do two single tank dives from the yak or did you have to return to shore to switch tanks?

I took only one tank, but had room for a second had I wanted to. I dove pretty shallow (30 ft) so had more than enough bottom time.

I've done quite a bit of kayak diving and one thing for sure, it beats the heck out of a surface swim. I have a couple of Cobra Explorers. Real stable and moves pretty quick. There is a big dry hatch on the bow and one between my legs for small stuff.
Here's a couple of things to keep in mind to get you started.
1. If you like a particular piece of gear; tie it down until it's attached to your body. Also it's a good idea to have a catch bag and use it for your small gear. Leave it in your dry hatch (if you have one) or tether it to something so it won't sink. The best bag to have is one that automatically closes when you release the handle. Trust me on this; your gear has a mind of it's own and will find a way to sink.
2. If the paddle is not in your hands; your fins are on your feet. Fins should be the first thing on and the last thing off.
3. Go light on the tanks. I love 95's but trying to throw them on a kayak while still in the water is a challenge. You can always drag it up the side of your kayak, but it's more of headache.
Here a link to help get you started.
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/specialty_and_advanced/kayak_diving/0/

You can bring two. Just tie one down between your legs.

dpthdiver:
2. If the paddle is not in your hands; your fins are on your feet. Fins should be the first thing on and the last thing off.

That's good advice, and you would do well to heed it.

My .02 is to imagine your kayak upside down. Anything on thats not stowed or strapped to your yak is either floating or sinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom