Cave Deaths in Clevland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read a very small article in the Boston Metro about two divers who died in a mining cave in Cleveland. The article was very unclear, but, it sounded like untrained divers who came up in a cavern and breathed atmospheric cave air later measured at 4%O2. Can anyone set the facts straight on this poorly reported accident, is there already a thread running about it?:(

I made the same mistake but yes it was a sad situation. 4% O2 doesn't sustain life very long. Good reminder not to breathe air in air domes or sumps.... come to think of it that guy who got lost in the bat cave near Marianna was very lucky the air pocket he found wasn't bad.... that guy was just very lucky period!

DSAO!

Original article

The trio had gone hiking at about 1:40 p.m. Sunday. After about an hour on the trail, they ventured off the main path and found the opening to the mine.

The brothers, wearing shorts and T-shirts, waded into the frigid waters. Murphy stayed behind. After more than an hour passed, he went for help. About 8:10 p.m. Sunday, the Sheriff's Department sent a search-and-rescue team to probe the mine. They searched up to the water and found nothing.

A team of expert divers flew in Monday morning. About 11:45 a.m., divers found the brothers' bodies in two separate branches off the main shaft.

Oxygen tests revealed about 4 percent oxygen in the mine.

Seems as if these guys werent diving at all...

Dive often, but dive safe

If I remember right, Walter explained the dangers of breathing air from air pockets in overhead environments during my open water cert. I know once in a wreck, can't remember now which one (the Thunderbolt or the Eagle?), we poked our heads up in a pocket and talked to each other, but Walter reminded me not to breath the air. I don't know if a warning is part of the open water cert or not, but it was useful to me. It might have been useful to those two people. We'll never know.

Originally posted by DennisW
If I remember right, Walter explained the dangers of breathing air from air pockets in overhead environments during my open water cert. I know once in a wreck, can't remember now which one (the Thunderbolt or the Eagle?), we poked our heads up in a pocket and talked to each other, but Walter reminded me not to breath the air. I don't know if a warning is part of the open water cert or not, but it was useful to me. It might have been useful to those two people. We'll never know.

Yep, wrecks are especially dangerous as the rusting metal will quickly eat up all the Oxygen in the space... Mines, sumps, and any other confined air space should always be approached with extreme caution.

I've heard from many people that you can pass out in less than 20 seconds from very low or no O2 air. That'll ruin your whole day!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom