Ft. Lauderdale Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I will be in Fort lauderdale December 26 to December 30 for my daughter's soccer tournament. Then we will be staying in Biscayne Bay December 31 to January 2. I am looking for must-do dives and recommended dive operations to patronize both in Fort Lauderdale and/or Miami/Biscayne Bay areas. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

PS: First time diving in Florida so need help.

... you'll find a most complete list of local diving sites and boats in the "sticky" threads.

BUT must-dos imho include two...

First, since you're almost there anyway and it takes almost as long to drive north (or take a local boat and steam north), go to the keys (Key Largo, mile marker 105 or so). If you have experience with deep dives and/or are AOW, I don't think anybody would say you'd go wrong with the Spiegel Grove or the Dwaine... both are incredible wrecks with a lot of life, and the SG has the distinction of being the largest artificial reef in the world. It "righted" itself after accidentially being sunk on its side... interesting! They usually do a nice reef for the second dive. You could do the AM dive and be back to your hotel by 3 or so.

Second, we all enjoy Tennaco Towers, which I think is pretty far shouth so local Biscayne Bay operators should do it often. It's great at night, but night dives usually don't do a reef and I think you should try to see our reefs while you're here.

Finally, if the weather permits (hit or miss in December), shore dives in Lauderdale by the Sea (just north of Fort Lauderdale) are almost "famous" with visitors, not because they're spectacular - our reefs are silted up - but because of the folks you can dive with. We have turtles, eels, nurse sharks, etc., as well as all the usual acquarium fish. To join one of these, watch the "trips" subforum OR post your own. We're all very friendly and will help you arrange gear.

So, you have a LOT of options. I'd do the Keys for sure because conditions are usually pretty good and try one of our shore dives.

Have a blast!

I would suggest you also drive north a little bit and dive near Boynton Beach. My wife and I go with http://splashdowndivers.com as much as we can. GREAT REEFS and Wrecks. I think it's some of the best dive sites around (IMO better than the keys). Definitely worth the 45 minute drive from FLL.

I really like some of the dives just north of there in Pompano (esp. the stingrays at the Sea Emperor), but I agree with Mike that if you are a newer diver and haven't been to the reefs in Key Largo thats a must-see that is worth the drive down from Miami, at least for one or two days. French Reef and Molasses Reef are some of the best shallow reef dives in Florida.

I was there over Labor Day and dove with Pavan of www.dixiedivers.com. They use The Lady Go Diver which had plenty of room and not too crowded. There was no rush to get back to the boat. I liked the Sea Empress, United Carribean and Ancient Mariner. As for beach dives I thought Pompano Beach was OK, I would pass on Deerfield Beach and I would go back to Lauderdale by the Sea again. The drift dives of the reefs is always nice, plenty of critters to see and photograph.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

TeqP:
I was there over Labor Day and dove with Pavan of www.dixiedivers.com. They use The Lady Go Diver which had plenty of room and not too crowded. There was no rush to get back to the boat. I liked the Sea Empress, United Carribean and Ancient Mariner. As for beach dives I thought Pompano Beach was OK, I would pass on Deerfield Beach and I would go back to Lauderdale by the Sea again. The drift dives of the reefs is always nice, plenty of critters to see and photograph.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
I second the vote for dixie divers. It's a very laid back atmosphere. I've always had a good time on the boat. Out of all the times I've been out on them, they've been crowded once. But I've also been on night dives with them with just three divers.

I've never done shore diving down there.

On my next trip, I am taking MikeJacobs' advice and heading down to largo for a trip out to the 'grove.

Enjoy.

Jealously yours,
Chris
PS: Can you tell I wanna go to FL?

We have had great luck with The Diversity
Capt. Tony runs a nice boat and will let you dive Your profile and use up your gas. Not some arbitrary time so they can get back to the dock.

Coqui Diver:
I'll be in Fort Lauderdale December 25nd to January 2nd for my daughters soccer tournament. I'm looking to get some diving in while I'm there. Can anyone recommend any must do dives and/or reputable dive ops. I posted on Florida Conch Divers but only got a few responses and none about the dive ops. Thanx. Coqui Diver

I have dove with "Avid Diver" and "Miss Conduct" both out of Lauderdale. Both are six-pack boats and are willing to take you to some areas the cattle-boats wont. I would strongly recommend either charter, the captains are experienced, safe and looking to show you a good time!!!!

MNJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom