Pensacola Shore Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason8598

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Pensacola the 8th of October and I am looking for local shore dives. I know of the jetties but was wondering what else there is.

Jason8598:
I will be in Pensacola the 8th of October and I am looking for local shore dives. I know of the jetties but was wondering what else there is.

Here is a link to MBT Divers in Pensacola that list all the dive sites and several are good shore dives.

http://www.mbtdivers.com/divesites.htm

Actually, you can't dive the Fort Pickens Jetties as easily as before. The road has been knocked out a few times already since Ivan without it ever having officially opened back up. You have to get to that area of Fort Pickens by boat, which kinda defeats the point of a shore dive in the first place.

Navarre Pier is condemned to fisherman(thank Ivan), so you can dive it. I hear it can make for a fun shore dive, but I haven't done it yet. I've dived the Alabama Gulf State Pier(now that its condemned, again, thanks to Ivan) and have had a great time. I can't imagine them being much different.

Jump across the Florida/Alabama line and you can dive the jetties at Alabama Point. I have no idea on how the Whiskey Wreck is doing in Gulf Shores since Katrina and Rita, but perhaps its gotten itself a bit more uncovered with all the new erosion we've had? Ivan and the beach renourishments buried it.

There are supposedly a few more beach dives in the Pensacola area, but I haven't dived them. There is some info on them in Ned DeLoach's book, but directions are vague at best... and conditions aren't current.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Actually, you can't dive the Fort Pickens Jetties as easily as before. The road has been knocked out a few times already since Ivan without it ever having officially opened back up. You have to get to that area of Fort Pickens by boat, which kinda defeats the point of a shore dive in the first place.

Navarre Pier is condemned to fisherman(thank Ivan), so you can dive it. I hear it can make for a fun shore dive, but I haven't done it yet. I've dived the Alabama Gulf State Pier(now that its condemned, again, thanks to Ivan) and have had a great time. I can't imagine them being much different.

Jump across the Florida/Alabama line and you can dive the jetties at Alabama Point. I have no idea on how the Whiskey Wreck is doing in Gulf Shores since Katrina and Rita, but perhaps its gotten itself a bit more uncovered with all the new erosion we've had? Ivan and the beach renourishments buried it.

There are supposedly a few more beach dives in the Pensacola area, but I haven't dived them. There is some info on them in Ned DeLoach's book, but directions are vague at best... and conditions aren't current.

Thanks for the info. I might head on over to Gulf Shores and dive the Whiskey Wreck. If you do go dive it before October 9th, update me on the condition.

We still have alotta surf from Rita, up to shoulder high sets today. Visibility is suffering at the moment. If it manages to calm down and clear up, I definately wouldn't mind hitting up the Whiskey Wreck this weekend - I've been meaning to go check it out after Katrina, just haven't had the opportunity. I'm not sure if I'll be in the area to dive it anytime after this weekend and before next...

PreKatrina there was very little relief. Two small stretches, one about 5' long and the other about twice that, neither with more than 6-12"(yes, inches) of relief. The sandbar was ontop of it, making the bottom as deep as about 6-7'. PreIvan, depths on the wreck were ~13' with 6-7' of relief.

The sands shift on it and off it, I've seen the wreck with 12-15' of relief when the bottom was 20' deep in Dec '03. Sometimes the hurricanes just make the process happen a hellovalot faster.

Where is the easiest/best place to park to go give the wreck? Also where is the best place to park to dive the pensacola beach pier?

The Whiskey Wreck? Park at the public parking area next to Bahama Bobs(1/2 mile west of Hwy 59 on the Beach Highway(182). Line up with Bahama Bob's sign and swim out 100-150 yards.

I don't know if you're allowed to dive the Pensacola Pier, but you'd want to park in the large parking lot where the pier starts at.

Same with the Navarre Pier, which is definately divable.

Yeah I think the fisherman on Pensacola Pier might be miffed when you start tangling their lines. Navarre pier is just over the bridge to Navarre (Take US 98 through Gulf Breeze to Navarre to FL 393, cross over Intercoastal, take 1st right (I think road turns right here) and pier and parking lot is on the left). There is no toll if you take the Navarre bridge and there is no parking fee.

Archer_Pensacola:
Yeah I think the fisherman on Pensacola Pier might be miffed when you start tangling their lines.

But it is just such great fun to tie their lines together!

Don't tell me you have never done this?!

Well.. they've got a sheriff's office that share the public beach parking lot. I know that you weren't allowed to dive the Navarre Pier when it was open to fisherman and that was enforced, luckily, its condemned to the surface dwellers now :) Pensacola's Pier has stood strong through the past few hurricanes and remains open, I doubt diving is allowed.

The old pier was dumped just east of the new pier from what I understand. It was covered in sand last I heard, but maybe some of the newer storms have uncovered it?

Jellyfish are real bad as I found out Friday. Snorkeled for about 5min before being torn up by sea nettles to the point of rushing me out of the water. Gonna dive tomorrow, but with a wetsuit :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom