9/24 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Marbled Shrimps (only one is a male)
F6.3, 1/125, Macro Mode, External Strobe
1.jpg

Leaf Scorpionfish
F6.3, 1/125, Macro Mode, External Strobe
2.jpg

Patch Reef at 75 feet
Experimental shot using a color correction filter
F2.8, 1/50, Manual White Balance, FL-B filter, No strobe
3.jpg

GIlligan, I've missed your pictures lately. I always crave more.

wow bro i like the leaf! also thanks for posting the settings, i always try tostudy the settings hoping i can apply them to my own pics. keep em coming

Color came out great on the patch reef. At 75' it gets pretty dark in our gulf water - is it as bright as it looks in your picture where you are?

SeaYoda:
Color came out great on the patch reef. At 75' it gets pretty dark in our gulf water - is it as bright as it looks in your picture where you are?

Yes, the vis was that good at 75'.

Need/want to buy just one color correction filter for use with my Ikelite 6112.15 which has a 2.2 port diameter.

What's the best overall CC filter for use in Maui waters during February?

The Blue water #6441.32 for tropical blue water or the #6441.72 for green water for use without a flash? Or if there is better filter (other brand) in close price range, again which color?

When I was in Kuai diving last year, we had rain on and off and the silt or suspended material screwed up most of my pictures via flash. Turned it off and well, it helped but as predicted things too blue and even photoshop color tweaking still didn't get things exactly where I wanted them.

Not sure what's going to be the case in Maui, hence the question to folks who have shot photos under most possible conditions.

If I must get both I guess I will, but would prefer one. Thanks for any help.

Mike.

INHO, color filters are a want to buy not a need to buy. When using an external strobe the backscatter is much less than with the cameras internal flash, so if you do not have an external strobe yet that is more important to taking better photos overall than a color filter. Another route to go is a wide angle lens (requiring the port adapter for your housing). Then you can get closer to the subject so there is less suspended particles between camera / subject, although internal flash is not workable with most wide lens set ups.

I have both a tropical filter for my PT-015 housing and one for my Inon WAL but they have not been in the water in years. If the goal is to make the pictures look like it looked to your eye at the time, photoshop will still most likely be required for the ambient light photos. Why fiddle with taking the filter off every time you want to use the flash or strobe during the dive, if you will spend at least the same amount of time in front of the computer after the dive?

The Molokini dive is one of the most challenging photo dives I make, mainly because of the time of day. The deep dive is very early, the sun is just barely over Haleakala, and if you are doing the backside you are mostly in shadows to boot. If I was doing that dive a lot I would play more with manual WB, but I don't like to get up that early. :)

Here is a grey reef shark at ~60' on the early dive near reef's end.

P10100093.jpg

This was shot RAW/Auto/P with WAL and then PS'ed. Perhaps a tropical filter would have helped.​

The full gallery may be seen here (not sure, still in smugmug trial). Slideshow not working well as it blows it up beyond original size. Figured it might be consistent with Gilligan's photo display probs. :D

halemano : photos : Molokini04_25- powered by SmugMug

The eagle ray moves from ~50' to ~70', grey at ~60, garden eels below 80', white tip ~70', trevallies 40-50 but I was closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom