Zeagle Ranger Bc problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last year I purchased a ZRanger at my instructors advice (a person I trust 100%). I was very happy with it for about 18 tropical dives. Last weekend I was diving in cold water localy and I found the weight pockets tearing out like you would not imagine. BOTH nylon pouches tore at the top seams and were very close to allowing my weights to dump with no notice. I called the shop I purchased from and they were very fast to contact Zeagle and try to make it right. I called Z as well and spoke with someone who asked me to send it in for examining. (which I did) I don"t want to be a pain to the fine folks at Zeagle, but: Is this dammage common for a Ranger BC only 20 dives old? Has anyone encountered this before? I really love this piece of gear but I honestly refuse to pay for a "repair" on an item so new.

Originally posted by David Gallo
Is this dammage common for a Ranger BC only 20 dives old? Has anyone encountered this before?
You might have a lemon... or Zeagle quality could have slipped... the Ranger I had went five years without a hitch and sold for $100 less than I paid new...

Are you using your Ranger as a BC or just as a tank holder/surface floatation device?

I've only had about 40 dives in my Ranger, but it's holding up great. And, I've loaded those pockets with 15 lbs of lead on each side.

I have had mine for about 4 yrs and it is still in very good condition, a few scrapes but nothing more. Looks like a manufac mistake, I would hope Zeagle will send you a NEW one. Keep us posted.

Thanks all, Yes I assume I have a lemon and thats what I told the folks at Zeagle. I hope they see fit to send me a new one so I can continue to reccomend the item to friends. One question tho: what are your thoughts about soft shot bag weights VS standard lead bricks? I think its funny that the BC does not come with the weight insert bags that allow easy softweight insertion and removal. I feel funny about stuffing a bunch of bulky lead hardware into the pockets (tho the user manual does not discourage this) and feel that all those hard edges are a contributing factor to the tearing. PS.Forgive me if my terms are wrong..I am new to all this stuff.

I have been using (2) 12# bricks and assorted bean bags to get my weight and haven't had issues with mine in 5yrs of use. Generally I am hard on equipment too so the fact that it has held up to my abuse is quite amazing.

You must have gotten a lemon or the materials they are using has been downgraded.

You reading this, herman?

:D

Originally posted by David Gallo
I think its funny that the BC does not come with the weight insert bags that allow easy softweight insertion and removal.
David you can buy bags that allow you to fill them with shot bags for insertion and removal but it still isn't easy... the hard weights are much easier to insert and remove with the Ranger.

Thanks all, I will keep you posted on Zeagles actions regarding this defective device.

If you purchased the Ranger from an authorized dealer you have a lifetime warrranty and won't be charged for any repairs. Zeagle is one company that stands behind their bcs 100%. I have sent in bladders that were 10 yrs old and they replace them with no questions asked. I've had a Ranger since 1997 and not had any problems with it at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom