Wd-40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigern

Registered
Reaction score
Was kinda curious but can I use WD-40 on a rag to wipe off the metal parts of my BC (i.e. D-Rings, buckle)?

I wouldn't want that stuff potentially getting on my other gear, especially rubber and nylon.

What are you trying to get off of your D-rings?

Wd-40 No good on any dive equipment it will for sure screw it up!
Use fresh water rinse and hang dry out of the sun if you dive salt.

I use WD-40 as starting fluid when my lawn mower won't crank. I don't use it for anything scuba-related.

moneysavr:
Wd-40 No good on any dive equipment it will for sure screw it up!
Use fresh water rinse and hang dry out of the sun if you dive salt.

wow i dint know that, i would have thought the wd40 would work wonders on most gear except regulators.

While I agree that spraying a BCD with it would be a bad idea. One use it does have is de-rusting dive knives and other equipment of that type. Unless you drop the cash on Titanium :)

How about that marine silicone spray? I would think that would be better.

WD-40 will get rust off because it's a powerful solvent.

However, I suggest alternatives such as vinegar to get off rust, because it will not stick around and damage other gear.

jonnythan:
However, I suggest alternatives such as vinegar to get off rust, because it will not stick around and damage other gear.
Hmm I will try that... Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom