entanglement hazzard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marlinspike

Contributor
Reaction score
Any help on this would be great:

I was wondering what the consesus is on wieght keepers, those plastic things that keep wieghts from sliding around. Is it better to use something a bit flatter like Halcyon triglides? The DIRF book doesnt go much into weightbelts. Is there some "right" way to configure a belt aside from proper trim and right hand release?

Thanks
Marlinspike

I don't see much different in harazrd level between plastic and steel keepers. The main thing, with weightbelts, is to not have any clips attached.

Tom

Back in the "old days" we'd turn our weight belts "inside out" so the edges of the weights couldn't pick up as much fishing line or weeds.
Mask & fin straps were threaded so the bitter ends were on the inside of the strap as well.
If you want to do a real life test, find a patch of eurasian milfoil (freshwater lakes) to plow through, that stuff will latch onto anything remotely resembling an entanglement hazard.

Originally posted by WreckWriter
I don't see much different in harazrd level between plastic and steel keepers. The main thing, with weightbelts, is to not have any clips attached.

Tom

I added a D ring to the back of my weight belt not to hang things on, but to have a place to hook the weight belt to an equipment line. It's on the back so its protected by the tank from getting snagged, but easy to reack to clip onto the line before unbuckling the belt. We had a student lose his 36# belt on the surface on a night dive and it was a bear to tie the lift bag to it and float it back in.

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom