Dizzines during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Wreck Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering If anyone has ever gotten dizzy during a dive?
I was diving off the Outer Banks of North Carolina this summer I was about 50' deep when all of a sudden I beame real dizzy for about 10 to 15 seconds then it passed.I did find out that I had swimmers ear and I was diving all week long it was about my 10th dive of the week. I was just courious if anyone has ever had this happen to them before? It was a bit scary it would have been even more scary if it happened to me if I was inside a wreck
Dive Safe
NJWD

You might try checking in the dive medicine forum. Sense of balance is related to stuff in your ears...they may have insight.

NJ Wreck Diver:
Just wondering If anyone has ever gotten dizzy during a dive?
I was diving off the Outer Banks of North Carolina this summer I was about 50' deep when all of a sudden I beame real dizzy for about 10 to 15 seconds then it passed.I did find out that I had swimmers ear and I was diving all week long it was about my 10th dive of the week. I was just courious if anyone has ever had this happen to them before? It was a bit scary it would have been even more scary if it happened to me if I was inside a wreck
Dive Safe
NJWD[/QUOT

hey there i have had that happen every once in a while, it feels like vertigo. it last only a short time that passes. other divers that i dive with have also experenced it. they say it is common and has to do with the pressure inside the ear. i have tried to = and it made it worse but i stopped got my barings and went up alittle and went away. good luck

I have seen a few cases where diesel fumes from the dive boat has caused similar problems......folks think there fine and the fumes arent a problem until they get the dive underway and about 40 feet they start feeling nausiated and dizzy......then they get that wierd look in there eyes and you know you have to get to them quick to hold the regulator in there mouth to keep them from blowing it out when they puke :)

Happens frequently. The ear is the center of your equalibrium. If you are having problems with your ears it can lead to vertigo. Best advice, grap a hold of something stationary until it passes, a line, the side of a wreck, your buddy. A persistant problem with vertigo should be evaluated by a otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat or Snot doc).

only get dizzy if i am overfatigued, hungry or in a surge

There are two causes of transient vertigo: uneven pressure or uneven temperature (alternobaric vertigo or caloric vertigo). If that cold N. Atlantic water chills one ear before the other or one ear doesn't clear as well as the other you get the spins. Another cause of the spins is too much viper the night before....

I get vertigo every once and a while. You get used to it after a while. One trick that you can try is "hugging" something or yourself and it will help pass the vertigo a bit faster.

Happened to me early this summer when diving Summersville lake without a hood. I HATE hoods and decided to try to dive without it. The cold water did it. I came up to the thermocline and it didn't pass, so I aborted the dive. Was fine by the time dive #2 started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom