First Impressions-BP/Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crisis_12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just did my first BP/Wings and doubles dives today. The guru loaned me one of his setups (Dive Rite SS BP/Classic wings, Basic Hog harness, DR 2500 regs, Faber 85’s with EAN 30. I didn’t need an ounce of lead either to sink my yellow dry suit clad self-BONUS!) I know it is cliché, but it was like an epiphany. I’ve spent the majority of this evening asking myself why the HELL didn’t I switch over earlier?!? (….and alternately praying to the gods of UPS that my new gear order from Cave Excursions will arrive quickly!)
What a BIG difference between my Zeagle Ranger and single setup. It was nothing like I expected. It felt secure, stable, AND comfortable. (I guess I was expecting some sort of masochistic sea ninja experience…..) Movement was a breeze. I was able to worm under the tail portion of the Cessna and under the wheels of the tanker at Dutch Springs with nary a hitch. I know that really doesn’t qualify as “getting small,” but it would have been a whole lot harder in my old rig. What a great experience.
I don’t mean to sound too evangelical, but run, don’t walk to your friendly neighborhood dive guru and try a BP/Wing combo. You won’t be disappointed! :D

crisis_12:
I just did my first BP/Wings and doubles dives today. The guru loaned me one of his setups (Dive Rite SS BP/Classic wings, Basic Hog harness, DR 2500 regs, Faber 85’s with EAN 30. I didn’t need an ounce of lead either to sink my yellow dry suit clad self-BONUS!) I know it is cliché, but it was like an epiphany. I’ve spent the majority of this evening asking myself why the HELL didn’t I switch over earlier?!? (….and alternately praying to the gods of UPS that my new gear order from Cave Excursions will arrive quickly!)
What a BIG difference between my Zeagle Ranger and single setup. It was nothing like I expected. It felt secure, stable, AND comfortable. (I guess I was expecting some sort of masochistic sea ninja experience…..) Movement was a breeze. I was able to worm under the tail portion of the Cessna and under the wheels of the tanker at Dutch Springs with nary a hitch. I know that really doesn’t qualify as “getting small,” but it would have been a whole lot harder in my old rig. What a great experience.
I don’t mean to sound too evangelical, but run, don’t walk to your friendly neighborhood dive guru and try a BP/Wing combo. You won’t be disappointed! :D
sounds like you liked diving w/a bp/wing, thats's a good thing! a lot of people have a major misunderstanding about just how comfortable diving this way is. i really like my wing /bp set up as well. i still dive with my s/p jacket (and love it) but theres a place for each set-up. and a time to use each. one of the nicest thing about a wing/bp is the lack of clutter on your chest and the complete lack of any bc squezze at all. another plus, as you discovered is the amount of weight that you no longer have to strap around your butt.when you are diving steel doubles. i usually dive steel 72's. they work for me! ken

crisis_12:
Green with.....well you know. I an not wait to do it on the 9th

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom