Solo certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet Willy

Reaction score
Any body know anything about a solo diving certification? One of the dive sites in Bethleham PA required a solo dive certification. Have dived solo but unaware of any certification requirement. :lightbulb

Look for a shop near you that is TDI/SDI, as far as i know they are the only ones who offer a solo course.

Mike
ps now just wait for the self righteous to jump on you about the dangers of diving solo...:)

There is no certification requirement solo or otherwise. We let ourselves be conned into the notion that there is the certification police lurking out there and they will arrest us if we dive without certification. Dive any way you want just be aware of the risks and do what is necessary to minimize them.

"Somebody" just read the opening thread and now we're all in for it!!! I can see it now; "solo certification" added to all of the rest: Night diving cert., wreck diving cert., photography cert., dry suit cert., boat diving cert., ice diving cert. WILL IT NEVER END???

:11:

Wet Willy:
Any body know anything about a solo diving certification? One of the dive sites in Bethleham PA required a solo dive certification. Have dived solo but unaware of any certification requirement. :lightbulb
Maybe you're new and haven't noticed yet (if so, welcome abord)... But there is a Solo Diving sub-forum under the Technical Diving section below. Within that sub-forum the topics of Solo Certifications is covered on a couple threads.

Captain... there are dive locations, public and privately owned... that either make solo diving illegal or require certification for it. It is largely in response to perceived liability. I don't think any of us can speak for the specific site in PA that Wet Willy referenced.

I think a solo certification is a good idea for those who want to go it solo. Not as a requirement, but as a way of being educated on the subject. I've solo dived since the mid 60's, but would never recommend for or against it unless I knew the person's skill level well.

Barracuda2:
"Somebody" just read the opening thread and now we're all in for it!!! I can see it now; "solo certification" added to all of the rest: Night diving cert., wreck diving cert., photography cert., dry suit cert., boat diving cert., ice diving cert. WILL IT NEVER END???

:11:

Is a photography certification required for a single use camera? :10:

Oh Oh I went night diving with out that certification too! :11:

If it weren't for generating revenue and litigation what would we do?

Pete

drbill:
Captain... there are dive locations, public and privately owned... that either make solo diving illegal or require certification for it. It is largely in response to perceived liability. I don't think any of us can speak for the specific site in PA that Wet Willy referenced.

Just don't dive the location that requires certification. It's that easy. I have my own boat and compressor and don't have to depend on anyone letting me dive how I chose to. I simply don't dive where I am not allowed to do it my way.

captain:
Just don't dive the location that requires certification. It's that easy. I have my own boat and compressor and don't have to depend on anyone letting me dive how I chose to. I simply don't dive where I am not allowed to do it my way.
...but lots of divers (a) don't own their own boats and compressors; and (b) don't want to; and (c) want to dive places that are located within 1 hour of their living quarters rather than 3 or 4 or 6 hours distant.

In many cases the quarry police won't let you near the quarry without a buddy. These are privately controlled dive sites. If you're waiting, single, solo, whatever, you're SOL...unless you have a solo certification card, in which case you can do whatever you want to do. (It's a liability issue...)

The price of a cert card is far less inconvenient than many other options involving much greater driving times or buying a boat...to allow you to dive the way you want to.

Which is why I have a solo certification card.

FWIW. YMMV.

captain:
drbill:

If that works for you, great. Won't work for me unless I don't dive at all. The lake charters require a buddy as do the quarries. I'm not willing to do a 3 mile surface swim to get out to one of the wrecks in the lake from a solo shore dive just to do it "my way". My own boat would be great. Know of anyone giving away free boats and slips in the Chicago area?

Joe

Back
Top Bottom