Bp/w Very Very Basic Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSixString

Contributor
Reaction score
HI all,

I've been a jacket style BC user my whole diving life. THIS is a very basic question.

I have a diverite aluminum BP and a set of RECTEC wings that i havent tried to use yet. Unless i miss my guess, the only thing that holds the wings to the rig are 2 bolts running from the doubles tank band, through 2 metal reinforced holes in the wing and into the backplate.

Is this truly how thats supposed to work? Does that put wear on the wing?

Thanks and sorry for the basic question. As a side note, how does a STA fit in?

Yep, you got it, the STA, for single tanks, has the bolts that fit through the wing and into the plate.

ScubaSixString:
HI all,

I've been a jacket style BC user my whole diving life. THIS is a very basic question.

I have a diverite aluminum BP and a set of RECTEC wings that i havent tried to use yet. Unless i miss my guess, the only thing that holds the wings to the rig are 2 bolts running from the doubles tank band, through 2 metal reinforced holes in the wing and into the backplate.

Is this truly how thats supposed to work? Does that put wear on the wing?

Thanks and sorry for the basic question. As a side note, how does a STA fit in?

the sta and wings are bolted on the backplate via lug and wingnuts abd some washers. its a proven and minimalistic approach. i wouldnt worry about wear and tear bro i can attest to that!

The bolts just hold it on when there is no tank.....the tank cam straps have a play in it when the tank is mounted. You could lose the bolts then and never know it until you go to take the tank off and still then the cam straps go through the plate and the wing.....at least on mine they do.

"2 bolts running from the doubles tank band,"

I assume you're talking about doubles. Yes, the bolts that go from the doubles through the holes in the wing and bolt into the backplate are all that keep the wing on.

This is fine for the wing. Once it's put together, the flat nylon part of the wing in the middle is sandwiched between the backplate and the tanks themselves, as well.

If you're talking singles, either the two bolts bolting the STA to the backplate, sandwiching the wing in the middle, holds the wing on, OR if you're not using an STA, the wing can be bolted to the plate (or not). Either way (without an STA), the cam straps run through the wing and the backplate, and the wing simply gets sandwiched between the tank and the backplate.

jonnythan:
.............if you're not using an STA, the wing can be bolted to the plate (or not). Either way (without an STA), the cam straps run through the wing and the backplate, and the wing simply gets sandwiched between the tank and the backplate.

I am using DiveRite S/S and AL backplate and RecWing. I am not using a STA but the wing is bolted to the bp. I find it makes switching tanks among dives easier.

Back
Top Bottom