Safety Stop Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PV_Golf

Reaction score
Hi,

I just made a dive and went to a depth of 86 feet. We did do a safety stop although I used my friends computer as I do not have one. I know it was stupid and will never do it again. In fact, we weren't even planning to go that deep.

Anyways, we did do a safety stop. I haven't dived in a month or so, so I was having trouble with my buoyancy. Anyways, at one point at got within five feet of the surface but then dropped back down. Anyways, should I be okay regarded decrompression sickness?

Thank you.

PV_Golf:
Hi,

I just made a dive and went to a depth of 86 feet. We did do a safety stop although I used my friends computer as I do not have one. I know it was stupid and will never do it again. In fact, we weren't even planning to go that deep.

Anyways, we did do a safety stop. I haven't dived in a month or so, so I was having trouble with my buoyancy. Anyways, at one point at got within five feet of the surface but then dropped back down. Anyways, should I be okay regarded decrompression sickness?

Thank you.

PV,

I realize that you know, of course, judging by the tone of your comments, that you should not dive on "someone else's computer. The reasons are legion.

You learned the tables in your class, and you should refer to them.

If you were not at 86 feet for long, you should still be within the NDL's. At that point, a safety stop is recommended as a precaution, not required for decompression purposes.

I would suggest that you refresh your knowledge of the tables, and buy your own computer.

Not trying to be hard on you, just trying to help you stay safe! :D

Rob

if its been a day or so and you have no signs, you should be ok.

..couple of things on what you said though - "we were not planning to go that deep" - it is very important that you do stick to you plan - depth being critical to watch for....

Popping up to 5ft and then descending back to 15-20 is not usually a problem......ascending too quick could be, especially from depth - if its been a while since you last dived, do a couple of shallow dives to get back into it - don't do an aggressive dive.

....as BigJetDriver69 stated - if you were not in a mandatory stop, but a recommended one, what you are doing by missing it is increasing your "risk".

take it as a learning experience (one not to be repeated)!

PV,

One drill you might make a habit of that may help you:

Always make a safety stop...true, but stop at 20' first and get your bouyancy dead on. Remain at 20' for 1 minute. Then slowly ascend to 10' and do 2 minutes. Then really slowly ascend to the surface.

If you make a habit of doing this every dive, you'll be safer for it. It also gives you some time to practice skills with your buddy, assuming you can learn to do the skills while holding a constant depth.

Best,

Doc

Lately we also have been adding a 1 full minute stop at half of our deepest depths.
If your deepest depth is 90 ft, then stop at 45 for a full minute.

Again it just gives your body a better chance to off gassing while the bubbles are still small and it helps you to slow your breathing. Then continue on to 15-20 feet and do 3 - 5 minutes.

So I should be okay right? I haven't really felt any major symptoms. I felt a little pain in my arm twice but nothing unbearable.

Thanks guys.

Johnoly:
Lately we also have been adding a 1 full minute stop at half of our deepest depths.

Again it just gives your body a better chance to off gassing while the bubbles are still small and it helps you to slow your breathing. Then continue on to 15-20 feet and do 3 - 5 minutes.
A DAN report makes similar recommendations. The whole article is avaible here for DAN members.
Here are a few excerpts from the article.

an in-water stop with a relatively rapid ascent rate appears to be more effective at eliminating inert gas than a very slow ascent rate.

the introduction of an additional deep stop ... reduced the previously recorded 30.5 percent incidence of high-grade bubbles to zero.

NAUI has now suggested that a deep stop might well be incorporated in recreational diving by taking a one-minute stop at half the depth and followed by a two-minute safety stop at the 15- to 20-foor level instead of the three minutes currently recommended.

The secret of the deep stop rests in the paradigm shift of "beating the bubble" versus "treating the bubble."

The former utilizes the deep stop to ensure that the fast tissue critical gas supersaturation is not exceeded and stops bubbles from forming in the first place. The long ascent to the 20-foot stop, as is currently done, involves "treating the bubble"; we know this produces 30 percent asymptomatic or so-called "silent bubbles" on the surface, which may be indicators of decompression stress or even potential DCS.​
Lots of good info on the DAN site. Money well spent IMO.

Willie

PV_Golf:
So I should be okay right? I haven't really felt any major symptoms. I felt a little pain in my arm twice but nothing unbearable.

Thanks guys.

The simple answer to this is "Well, if your not sure, Call D.A.N." You state you have pain and diving is a possible cause, if I were in your shoes, I seek counsel with a diving physician.

Their number is here: 1-919-684-8111
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

wet-willie:
A DAN report makes similar recommendations. The whole article is avaible here for DAN members.
Here are a few excerpts from the article.

an in-water stop with a relatively rapid ascent rate appears to be more effective at eliminating inert gas than a very slow ascent rate.

the introduction of an additional deep stop ... reduced the previously recorded 30.5 percent incidence of high-grade bubbles to zero.

NAUI has now suggested that a deep stop might well be incorporated in recreational diving by taking a one-minute stop at half the depth and followed by a two-minute safety stop at the 15- to 20-foor level instead of the three minutes currently recommended.

The secret of the deep stop rests in the paradigm shift of "beating the bubble" versus "treating the bubble."

The former utilizes the deep stop to ensure that the fast tissue critical gas supersaturation is not exceeded and stops bubbles from forming in the first place. The long ascent to the 20-foot stop, as is currently done, involves "treating the bubble"; we know this produces 30 percent asymptomatic or so-called "silent bubbles" on the surface, which may be indicators of decompression stress or even potential DCS.​
Lots of good info on the DAN site. Money well spent IMO.

Willie

That link provided fascinating reading. From what I gather from it, a relatively fast ascent to half the total depth, and then a five minute stop...then on to 15 feet and a normal stop is what DAN's research recommends?

Safe Diving

Jeff

Johnoly:

Yes... ditto... and it's been researched and documented the extra 1 minute at 1/2 your deepest depth in addition to your 3 min. safty stop will reduce your risk... just a good habit to get into .

Back
Top Bottom