Dive report: Alona Beach, Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombarie

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All -

Returned home last week from a two and halve week dive and surf trip to the Philis. Was in the Visayas in summer 2003 and was set to do some further exploration of Southern Leyte's fabled reefs. However, never got there - got stuck on Alona Beach with a friend I'd met in 2003 and spent all of my bubbling time there. That is good as: (i) there is worse places to get stuck and (ii) another reason to visit in the future again :05:

Here is a quick report for your benefit. Most of the dives were made on Balicasag Island off the coast of Alona Beach (25min boat ride), mainly on the spots Cathedral and Black Forest. Vizibility was good - in the 15-20 meter range, sometimes a bit better. We spotted various frog fishes on Cathedral and all of the usual suspects. Highlites were the dives on Black Forest where we encountered various times a quite big bunch of great barracuda's (big ones) doing their early afternoon swirls around rocks in 14 to 3 meters of water. The first time in Black Forest our captain was so kind to drop us right in the middle of the "tornado" - the barra's were pretty relaxed about it and stayed around throughout our 70min dive. At later encounters, they would swim off after maybe 10 minutes. We also encountered, only once, another group of barracuda's at Black Forest. These were smaller in size but, believe it or not, in the middle of the bunch, a golden colored barra was swimming along. Never seen it before. There is also plenty of cool banded coral shrimps, spider crabs, anemone shrimps and the likes out there on Balicasag, as are the jacks on the other side of Balicasag in the Sanctuary. And of course the two Napoleon wrasses at Black Forest, a bigger one as well as a small kid. And a cuttlefish under a rock during our safety stop. very shy. We spotted a turtle twice. Local diveguides say that big fish is rare, go elsewhere for sharks and rays, they are mostly cooked and eaten by now. I made 12 or 14 dives on Balicasag and did not get tired of it - there is so much variation it can be a different dive every time.

Other spots dived include Duljo Point off Panglao were we went to look for mandarin fish around 4:30, without luck. Did spot two big stonefish sitting next to each other though, so all good after all. A striped remora had accompanied us along most of that dive, hammerheads have been seen there, before we jumped in a fin skimmed the water - if you add it up and dive there deep and early in the morning, I wouldn't be suprised if you catch sight of something big, deep down there. Also doved at Arco Point, famous for the pigmy seahorses - confirm they are still there. We counted eight in three fans on the sandy patch sloping down. And more are coming: two were pregnant. A visiting banded sea snake made an appearance as well. All in all I prefer Balicasag above the dive sites immediately of Panglao island because of the less dusty corals and general better viz, but they are good if you know what to look for.

During my stay in Alona Beach I stayed a few nights in the Alona Kew and a week in the Alona Tropical - I prefer the latter as it is similar accomodation with nicer bathrooms and half the price. The restaurant is better as well - their American breakfast is exactly what a diver needs before going out there! Paid something like 8000 pesos for a full week of boarding, everyday breakfast, various lunches, lots of post dive tuna sandwiches with shakes and cokes and gin tonic loaded dinners etc - that is a bit over EUR 100. I dove with Baywatch Divers, the only local shop with a fun crew. With own equipment a dive trip to Balicasag runs at USD 35 for two dives, a bit more if you want to rent the equipment. More important, their 24y old dive guide Butch has great knowledge of the reefs and their inhabitants. He spots things that amaze all - like an underwater eagle!

Dove my Cressi Aqualight BCD for the first time and it is a joy. However, met a girl diving a bp/w setup and that, safe for the stainless steel plate that weighs 3 kg (u can get alu ones they say), it is definitely the best option for holiday travel - so much more compact!

If you like your holidays relaxed with great diving and little fuss, Alona Beach should defo be considered, IMHO. Let me know if you require further info.

Cheers - Arie.

Arie, is baywatch divers near Alona tropical Resort? and is the $35 diving fee per diver really a two tank dive in Balicasag? Heading there with the misis on October 28 and stay until Nov. 1, 05. We'll be coming from Cebu though.

chip104:
Glad to hear you had fun Arie! Comeback anytime.
Hey everybody Gonna be in Manila next Thurs. I am gonna go to Anilao and PG. Cebu, Dumaguete more maybe. Any most see places or resorts Kind regards

415Gem:
Hey everybody Gonna be in Manila next Thurs. I am gonna go to Anilao and PG. Cebu, Dumaguete more maybe. Any most see places or resorts Kind regards

Advance "WELCOME" to the Philippines mate! When will you be in Anilao? I will be there on Oct. 8 and 9 at Aquaventure Reef Club, would be nice to have coffee (as I don't drink beer hehehe) with someone from SB.

Glad to hear that you had such a good time. I was hoping to run into you while I was on Cabilao, but based on your report, I can't blame you for staying on Alona.

I'm planning to post my own report on Moalboal, Cabilao, Malapsacua and Southern Leyte this coming weekend. Thank you for all of your advice along the way. I really appreciate it.

Axua:
Advance "WELCOME" to the Philippines mate! When will you be in Anilao? I will be there on Oct. 8 and 9 at Aquaventure Reef Club, would be nice to have coffee (as I don't drink beer hehehe) with someone from SB.
Wow !!! Thats exactly when I will be there. I arrive Manila midnight Oct. 7th and will head intio Ermita
...sleep a bit and head to Anilao later on the 7th. I was split betweeen Aquaventure and Dive and Trek. I want to get reservation before I leave Manila. I`d love to do some dives and have a cup of tea ( I don`t drink cofee ??? )Look foward to seeing the beautiful PI`s. Kind regards Kevin

jonix:
415Gem: go for aquaventure...you won't regret it. Axua (jai) will be there so that would definitely be a plus
Jonix...It`s been kind of hard getting intouch with Aquaventure. I went to website but there contact us menu doesn`t work. Filled out all info and won`t submit. I am kind of nervous that Aquaventure might be sold out on Oct.7th weekend. What do you think? Kind regards Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom