New & Interesting Greeting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oem3105

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had something happen the other day as I was driving home from work that caught me off-guard. As I was driving, a van was coming at me in oncoming traffic. I vaguely noticed a dive flag license plate on the front bumper (Just like the majority of divers, I also have one on the front bumper on my truck). The thing that caught my attention was the driver. At first, I thought he was waving at me. As I got right beside him in traffic, I realized that he was giving me the "OK" sign as he was waving at me.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize this in time to return the gesture. I think that this is an interesting "tip of the hat" from one diver to another. I am from the South and used to people waving at each other (especially in the country among everyone driving pick-up trucks).

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a common occurrence among divers and I missed another memo? Just wondering.

It's never happened to me.

I do this every time I see someone with a dive flag sticker or some other identifying decal. I have yet to have it returned. Most likely they just miss it as you did, or they have other things going on. Some people have dive flags because they were certified at one time or another, but don't dive regularly. I dive as much as I can, so maybe it means more. Who knows? :06:

I've always wondered what would be a good hand signal for greetings to give to fellow divers on the road or on the streets. I've seen plenty what with car stickers, tag holders, etc. and guys and gals wearing dive shirts. Bikers have one and so do surfers. Maybe the "OK" sign would make a good greeting from one diver to another. Any other ideas??

Barracuda2:
I've always wondered what would be a good hand signal for greetings to give to fellow divers on the road or on the streets. I've seen plenty what with car stickers, tag holders, etc. and guys and gals wearing dive shirts. Bikers have one and so do surfers. Maybe the "OK" sign would make a good greeting from one diver to another. Any other ideas??

I like the two-haned OK sign, but it causes other problems. Seriously though, I've given the OK sign to a couple of folks and only one actually got it in time to reply...folks just aren't used to it I guess.

Hummm... Do you think that guy in the other car was telling me he had 100psi??

Rick Inman:
Hummm... Do you think that guy in the other car was telling me he had 100psi??
Oh...just got it!!!! Too funny, I'm LOL here, all by myself. Thanks!!
In my diving world, that's a whole different hand signal...hadn't thought of using it to indicate "1". Might have trouble getting someone to donate a spare reg to you if you indicated "OOA" after that one....:11:

That took me a minute to get as well.
It's 3:30 pm here and that was my first real laugh of the day.
I need more salt water.

A few years back I purchased a 1970 VW bus camper to restore. The previous owner had it painted up exactly like Dale Earnhardt's race car, complete with the big #3 on the side. First time I drove it the Earnhardt fans would blow the horn and hold 3 fingers in the air. Folks that did not like him blew the horn and gave me one finger. The hippies and Deadheads gave me the two fingered peace sign. A couple of times I was flashed by some college girls. Between all the hornblowing, fingerpointing and flashing I almost wrecked several times. Now it is a simple white over blue bus with a dive logo peacefrog on the back. Nobody even waves. Sort of miss the commotion.

Thats hilarious!!

I wave like a maniac when I see others with dive flags on their car and thats probably why they don't respond. :D Thats a much cooler way to say hi.... must try it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom