Limit/Full

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me about the Limit/Full button on my Nikkor105 mm macro lense?

Also, should I be focusing manually at all times when shooting very close? I took some really good images a while back and now can't remember if I was using the focus rings or just moving the camera slightly. I do not remember all this lense "hunting".

I want to know when you would limit the range on the lense and when to use "full".

I know, I know, I should just "RTFM" but I do not have it. Thanks a lot.

I always use full, in fact i am thinking of taping up the button cuz some times it gets pushed without knowing.

If you have manual focus gears its good to shoot manual if you want to shoot super close close ups of nudis and others that don't move so much. I prefer auto when shooting fish and other moving critters.

However, lots of people use manual all the time.

If you are having trouble remembering....too much nitrogen or not enough time in the water?? Shame on you!

And i like your website, looks good!
Are you back from Palau already?

Mike Veitch:
I always use full, in fact i am thinking of taping up the button cuz some times it gets pushed without knowing.

If you have manual focus gears its good to shoot manual if you want to shoot super close close ups of nudis and others that don't move so much. I prefer auto when shooting fish and other moving critters.

However, lots of people use manual all the time.

If you are having trouble remembering....too much nitrogen or not enough time in the water?? Shame on you!

And i like your website, looks good!
Are you back from Palau already?

Thank-you, coming from you that is a real compliment. I looked at all your images after you sent me the aerial of the island. Yes, I am narc'ed very easily. Alcina gave me some tips on camera settings and I wrote a cheat sheet on the sticky side of an address label and it now faces out at me (from inside my housing) for reference at depth. Ha! I am so proud of myself for finally thinking of that.

Okay, I understand your focus bit. But what is the button for?

Hey next week, can I ask you about WB? Don't want to use you up. Merci.

Well the button is for limiting the "zoom" function of the lens. Although it is not a zoom lens you will find that it does actually zoom. That is the way it can achieve 1:1 ratio. This only happens when it is on Full. If you put it on limit it can't reach the 1:1 ratio and it won't focus nearly as closely as it does on Full.

I guess it has its reasons, if you are shooting subjects that you can't get too close to, and don't want the lens to go to 1:1 through auto focus and searching, using Limit will lock up that feature and make it easier to achieve auto focus by limiting the amount of zoom.

Did i confuse you yet? I think i have confused myself...
Basically, it has no real use in UW if you ask me, stick to Full.

Just pop it on your camera on land and play between the two, you will notice the diff.

WB? Go ahead ask me...i am not afraid...:) I have just been playing with the Magic Filter....but the review not up yet. Should be up soon on Wetpixel

Mike Veitch:
Well the button is for limiting the "zoom" function of the lens. Although it is not a zoom lens you will find that it does actually zoom. That is the way it can achieve 1:1 ratio. This only happens when it is on Full. If you put it on limit it can't reach the 1:1 ratio and it won't focus nearly as closely as it does on Full.

I guess it has its reasons, if you are shooting subjects that you can't get too close to, and don't want the lens to go to 1:1 through auto focus and searching, using Limit will lock up that feature and make it easier to achieve auto focus by limiting the amount of zoom.

Did i confuse you yet? I think i have confused myself...
Basically, it has no real use in UW if you ask me, stick to Full.

Just pop it on your camera on land and play between the two, you will notice the diff.

WB? Go ahead ask me...i am not afraid...:) I have just been playing with the Magic Filter....but the review not up yet. Should be up soon on Wetpixel

The limit switch does not work like Mike says, and can be a useful tool in some instances...

Of you manually set the lens to its minimum focus distance, engage the limit switch, and switch to autofocus the camera will only look for subjects between 1' and 18", which can be useful for macro shooting. This will greatly improve the speed at which the camera can aquire focus, as it reduces the amount of distance the elements of the lens travel looking for subjects.

This mode is useful when working w/ diopters or a teleconvertor, as you are trying for super macro results only, and AF is pretty poor w/ those add ons.

Most peopel will use the lens set to "full", taking advantage of the entire range of subjects it can shoot.

Ahh would you look at that, learn something new everyday.

Never thought of zooming it out and then hitting the limit switch...i only hit it at the normal setting...
Damn Ryan yer smart....but i was only half wrong....:)

Mike Veitch:
Ahh would you look at that, learn something new everyday.

Never thought of zooming it out and then hitting the limit switch...i only hit it at the normal setting...
Damn Ryan yer smart....but i was only half wrong....:)

hahahahaha I hope you guys know each other.
Well, somebody that shoots for National Geographic told me the same thing about gluing it in full position. But, I kept wondering if it could limit the amount my lens hunts on subjects super close up. (When not manually focusing) Of course you would have to premeditate all this since there is no access once in the housing. I am not ready for my majic filter since I have no idea how to WB yet. Why can't I understand my manual? I even bought the Hogan's manual-to-the-manual. What kind of white card do I need? Let me guess, ...a white one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom