Movin' down to Ft. L.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
It's official, I'm coming down there! Probably in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to do some diving with ya'll, but first things first. Does anyone have any local advice on finding an apartment or condo to rent? I'll be working in the Davie area. I know next to nothing about the area.

Thanks!

nooo! don't leave us! waaah!!

You might want to look at buying... since there's a lot available, and you can buy with relatively little money to put down.

My wife and I are in the same situation... We've been renting a place in FLL, but we're looking to buy soon.

A new neighbor! Davie is just west of Ft. Lauderdale. Great place to live. Sorry can't help ya on the rentals. I know a few houses in my neighborhood for rent, however, I would think they would go for at least $1200/mth f/l/s...and its not an upscale neighborhood! Good luck.
Oh, yes, we do a lot of diving down here, and if the wind would stop we could be doing more beach diving! (Sunday vis was 3ft.!)

OBXDIVEGUY:
It's official, I'm coming down there! Probably in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to do some diving with ya'll, but first things first. Does anyone have any local advice on finding an apartment or condo to rent? I'll be working in the Davie area. I know next to nothing about the area.

Thanks!

Get the local apt guides and start calling now..... I move in Sunday in Coconut Creek. I called every complex in Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, Margate, etc and 1 called me back to say they had nothing availble. Apparently a number of properties are converting to condo. Schedule 4 days for a decent apartment hunting trip. Two days to dive in the Keys, 1 AM in Pompano, then a mad dash the remaining 1.5 days to line up someplace to live..., and grab the first one avaialble within 10 miles of Fill Express. Worked for me - I shoulda scheduled more diving... :14:

DAVIE is the country side of florida... yeee haaa, they even have a rodeo there on sat nights,,,,..
got to love those hotties in there tight jeans,,, enjoy

welcome to Florida,,
where there changing the license plates from the sunshine state to

Land of the newly Wed and nearly Dead....

QUOTE=OBXDIVEGUY]It's official, I'm coming down there! Probably in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to do some diving with ya'll, but first things first. Does anyone have any local advice on finding an apartment or condo to rent? I'll be working in the Davie area. I know next to nothing about the area.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I would not assume that Lauderdale by the Sea is too expensive, and it's certainly not too difficult a commute (I commute to Davie Blvd just east of I-95 and it takes me less than 20 minutes... you'll be another 10 minutes west).

The buildings are old but rent is not out of sight and the neighborhoods are filled with good people.

You may not be able to find a vacancy ON the beach, but you might. You have to talk to people because places go quickly... this would be a good time to look, however, since we're coming out of hurricane season. Maybe Marvel knows of a vacancy around her building.

The neighborhood west of A1A is kinda strange but it's a trade-off. It's safe and living east is a lot better than west all things considered... unless you have kids, that is!

diverdoh, West palm will do in a pinch.....though rents are definitely a ******.

OBX, I will also go with netmage.......the property is so hot if Florida right now that many typical apartment rental companies are converting them to condos. Rentals are becoming VERY hard to come by. I'm up in WP, which is a little more expensive, but I'd bet you should expect to pay at least $800 for a 1 bedroom, and over $1000 (more like $1200, at best guess) for a two bedroom. No frills.

Like they said, Davie is west (and maybe a hair south) of Ft. Lauderdale proper; it is considered a little "country", as there is a rodeo and other things in the town; but the general neighboring areas are all reasonably nice.
If you want to PM me your address, I can try to send you some apartment guides (I do it all the time for work when I have new employees relocating here).
However, for finding condos, I know there's a place here called Rentarama that handles rentals of individual places. Also, you can try online on the Ft. Lauderdale newspaper, www.sun-sentinel.com.

Hope that helps.

Kbeck & Doh - I'm working on the "once a year" assignment I get in Lake Worth east of I-95. While the area is still pretty rough, I see a LOT of improvement over last year and consider the area high-potential in terms of property value appreciation for relatively low prices today (for good reason lol). Is there any shore diving off the barrier island there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom