Creatures that could hurt you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to discuss this quote that I got from a post by Sharky60, but didnt want to hijack the other thread. Anyone else have thoughts on whether this would be a good course of action if facing an agressive shark, cuda, whatever? I am a big behaviorist fan and it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I'm not sure if this is the right answer but my experience with fish is if you show aggressive behavoir they will back off because you are bigger than they are. I'd turn the tide on the cuda and swim twards him, slowly no need to startle it, this should make it back off and move on. This has worked for me with sharks, they are usually just being curious and once they see that you are not prey and even a possibe preditor, they will move on.

Well... sometimes you aren't bigger than the sharks.

I have swam towards 'Cuda's to get a better look at em, only to startle them away. I don't get to dive with sharks, I've only seen 2(they were in the 2' range and not what I would call agressive), but I've heard they're afraid of bubbles :)

The most dangerous creatures are those that are easy to avoid, like Bristle Worms.

As long as you don't act like food when there is an aggressive fish around, or act like you are attacking it which could provoke more aggressiveness from the fish, sure...
The part of the quote you refer to "they are usually just being curious and once they see that you are not prey and even a possibe preditor, they will move on", sums up your question.

Scorpionfish.

"Creatures that could hurt you?"

My dive buddy dropped his set on my feet once. Ouch!

Good tip is sometimes things that look cute can be nasty too (for example seals have sharp teeth and will bite)

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Walter:
The most dangerous creatures are those that are easy to avoid, like Bristle Worms.
Care to elaborate as to why they are so dangerous?

I recall some years ago a place that took the "sharks are afraid of bubles" & ran a line of pipe out from the beach, acroos a ways & back to the beach. The pipe had holes in it & they pumped air through it to creat a curtain of bubbles to protect the beech.

Then they went down & watched the sharks swim back and forth through the bubbles.

Firebrand:
Care to elaborate as to why they are so dangerous?

Some animals have nematocysts, others inject venom (cone shells). Some of them have minimal effect on people, while others can kill.

RumBum:
I want to discuss this quote that I got from a post by Sharky60, but didnt want to hijack the other thread. Anyone else have thoughts on whether this would be a good course of action if facing an agressive shark, cuda, whatever? I am a big behaviorist fan and it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

You know..... I'm just not going to try to swim head-first into anything that is so big and meanacing that I worried about it trying to eat me.

Square off with it like you do with wild animals in the forest....naturally

Pop it in the nose if it gets too close....ok

Lead with my head....no thanks. I like my head right where it is.

R..

Back
Top Bottom