Bare Wetsuit sizing?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a XXL Bare SGS 7mm Artic back in Oct 2004 and I could have sworn the sizing chart showed it would fit up to like 240. I weigh about 245 and it was to small. I called up a reputable dive shop and they told me the Bare SGS's were manufactured overseas and the sizes ran small and the neoprene was really stiff. He said the Velocity line of wetsuit replaced the SGS's and are not as stiff and that they are made in Canada now. The Velocity XXL's say that they fit up to 255. I called Bares customer service and they told me that who ever said that they were made overseas and sized small were wrong and their sizing chart has never changed???? Does anyone else remember or know??? I just could have sworn I was originally worried about the SGS XXL because I was bigger than the size chart recommended but the dealer said it would fit fine. I would not have been worried had it shown it fitting up to 255 pounds. Maybe its just me and my memory is shot!!!!! But if you have any info I'd appreciate it
Thanks
David

I don't know where they were originally made or anything to that degree. However I recently purchased a 7mm 2004 SGS and based on their size chart I got a medium. When I got the thing, It was waaaaaay too small. I couldn't even pull it over my shoulders. So I returned it and went with a Large and the large was almost a perfect fit, but according to their chart I am 3 inches to short for the the large. So in my experience they do run small.

Hex:
I don't know where they were originally made or anything to that degree. However I recently purchased a 7mm 2004 SGS and based on their size chart I got a medium. When I got the thing, It was waaaaaay too small. I couldn't even pull it over my shoulders. So I returned it and went with a Large and the large was almost a perfect fit, but according to their chart I am 3 inches to short for the the large. So in my experience they do run small.

Chart says I should get a ML. A Large fits better, tried both and the ML is too small despite the chart.

I don't know if they changed anything or switched manufacturing sites though I doubt they are mass producing wet-suits in Canada after having gone off shore. When speaking with Divetank about a Bare purchase thay did day to err to the larger size since the sizes ran small, not out of spec, just no extra room.

Also keep in mind that proportions can cause problems, Take me if you care to, I was a perfect XLS by the chart but when I got the suit it wasn't long enough between the shoulders and the crotch, turns out I have a long torso, the XL fits me nicely. In the end getting a local fit is the best bet unless you're feeling lucky or have a high tolerance for mail order roulette pain.

I didn't and don't find my 7mm Arctic stiff at all.

Pete

DavidHickey:
I bought a XXL Bare SGS 7mm Artic back in Oct 2004 and I could have sworn the sizing chart showed it would fit up to like 240. I weigh about 245 and it was to small. I called up a reputable dive shop and they told me the Bare SGS's were manufactured overseas and the sizes ran small and the neoprene was really stiff. He said the Velocity line of wetsuit replaced the SGS's and are not as stiff and that they are made in Canada now. The Velocity XXL's say that they fit up to 255. I called Bares customer service and they told me that who ever said that they were made overseas and sized small were wrong and their sizing chart has never changed???? Does anyone else remember or know??? I just could have sworn I was originally worried about the SGS XXL because I was bigger than the size chart recommended but the dealer said it would fit fine. I would not have been worried had it shown it fitting up to 255 pounds. Maybe its just me and my memory is shot!!!!! But if you have any info I'd appreciate it
Thanks
David

spectrum:
I don't know if they changed anything or switched manufacturing sites though I doubt they are mass producing wet-suits in Canada after having gone off shore. When speaking with Divetank about a Bare purchase thay did day to err to the larger size since the sizes ran small, not out of spec, just no extra room.

Also keep in mind that proportions can cause problems, Take me if you care to, I was a perfect XLS by the chart but when I got the suit it wasn't long enough between the shoulders and the crotch, turns out I have a long torso, the XL fits me nicely. In the end getting a local fit is the best bet unless you're feeling lucky or have a high tolerance for mail order roulette pain.

I didn't and don't find my 7mm Arctic stiff at all.

Pete
That's strange... I also recently purchased a Bare Trilam ATR which was an xls. When the suit arrived it would not fit from the crotch to the shoulder. I got the same story. Thinking it was just me, I had a friend to try to get my suit on and he also couldn't get it on... makes me wonder about the sizing chart. I contacted Divetank and ended up having to order a custom suit. It also cost me another $150 plus return postage... my point is that the fitting of a dry suit can be be difficult by mail. Dive tank has been good to work with in resolving this issue but it is still a hassle and if you are plannning a dive trip it can upset your schedule.

Anyway lets go blow some bubbles :D

I dont know about the production sites, but Ive had a Arctic 7mm Full for 4 years now, according to the size chart I was an XLS and it fit perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom