Dui 350 TLS SE or DUI CN SE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm tring to decide between the DUI TLS SE or the DUI CN SE. Shell or compressed neo. Any thoughts on this. Iv'e logged about 100 dives in my 7mm wet and am ready to go dry. I dive mostly around Lake Tahoe and Northern Calif coast. I'm diving mostly in cold water so when I go on a dive vacation you can bet it will be warm so taking these suits on vacation isn't an issue. Also thinking about upgrading these suits to zip seals, again any thoughts?? These suits are about the same$$ Help.............

I have the 350SE and I like it. Dries quick and works great. Make sure you get the size right though as they do run bigger than front entry suits as they do not have the telescoping torso.
These suits do not come with suspenders in them so think about paying extra to have them installed if you plan on multiple dive days.
Also think about installing a p-valve. You may need it as it takes another person to unzip unless you are limber. I can get the suit unzipped myself, but you definately need someone to zip you up although people have been known to use car doors to assist.

I don't have any experience with them, but have not heard many complaints, though I have read of people having issues with neck zip-seals being uncomfortable. With the wrist zip-seals you also have the option of zip-gloves for cold water too.

I have a compressed neoprene DUI and love it. I've never dove a shell suit, but my wife has and she likes her CN better. You don't have to wear as much underneath to keep you warm and the increased firmness of the neoprene helps keep air movement to a minimum.

I haven't used the zip seals, but I have seen other divers have to abort dives due to leaks at the zips. It seems like a toss up between a leaky zip and a torn seal. I've seen the leaky zips more than the torn seals, though.

I have a SS tls350 w/zips.
I kinda like the zips.
I did how ever have 2 failures that were both totally my fault.
Once I didn't properly clean the grooves and recieved a wet fore arm.
The other time I wasn't sealed right and had it separate after a giant stride off a boat.I re-attatched it while still in the water.
As earlier mentioned my fault totally for not doing it right.

So....gotta ask why do ya want the SE?
Are they that much more affordable?
I have no experiance with a shoulder entry but it seems like under the right circumstance you could cook in one,but hey I could be wrong

I'm under the understanding you always dive with a buddy and almost all the people I dive with are dry. But I understand the concern especially if you have weak kidneys.

mech:
I have no experiance with a shoulder entry but it seems like under the right circumstance you could cook in one,but hey I could be wrong

Shoulder entry zips are a lot less prone to damage than a front entry - assuming you roll and store your suit properly, that is.

With a front entry zip, when you roll your suit you are actually forcing the zip into an unnaturl curve.

With shoulder entry, you roll the suit from the boots up the front of the suit and then fold the arms over the top of the roll (hope this makes sense) which then causes the arms to be stored in the same curve that the zip is stitched into the suit.

The downside, of course, is that you do need someone to zip you up... but realistically, how often is there not someone around to help?

I have the DUI Trilam suit (TLS), and my husband has the one called something like 50/50... it's 50% compressed neoprene (the bottom half), and 50% trilam on the top. I love my suit - it's light, dries really fast, and has been very durable. His is considerably heavier than mine, takes a long time to dry, but it feels more substantial. We do a lot of rocky entry/ exits, so his makes more sense, while mine is better suited for beach or boat entry/exits.

I don't know about the zip seals - I wanted them, but ended up with regular dry glove seals.

I owned a DUI CNSE. Upside: cheap.

Downsides:

- No suspenders.
- Crappy dump valve location
- No custom sizing
- back shoulder zip - pain in the butt to gear up or gear down, and tends to wear if you wear a BP/Wing.
- very heavy, takes forever to dry.
- not as 'tough' as people tend to think. I got numerous tiny pinholes for no explainable reason.

I eventually sold mine and got a Trilam, and love it.

Back
Top Bottom