Aircraft wreck dives in phili

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

welly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys
thinking of heading up to philippines around december and wondering if there are any good WWII aircraft wrecks ala micronesia?
Currently thinking of mainly sticking around palawan/coron and apo islands.
My mate and I are both advanced cert having dived in belize, western australia, honduras, thailand, fiji and nuie.
any help appreciated
thanks

im interested as well, been wanting to dive aircraft wrecks, if ever there are any, the philippines would be number one! battle of leyte gulf was the bloodiest aerial combat in history

Certainly not WWII vintage but there is a big commercial jet just off the dock at Vasco's in subic bay. I think it's an airbus, anyway I believe it crashed somehow landing at the airport there and Brian Homan managed to have it sunk near his dive shop - could be worth an afternoons dive while enjoying the wrecks nearby!

Scuby Dooby:
Certainly not WWII vintage but there is a big commercial jet just off the dock at Vasco's in subic bay. I think it's an airbus, anyway I believe it crashed somehow landing at the airport there and Brian Homan managed to have it sunk near his dive shop - could be worth an afternoons dive while enjoying the wrecks nearby!

how convenient, a whole big airbus!

There's also a small plane wreck in Hadsan Reef, Mactan, Cebu. I'm 90% sure it's not WWII and to be honest it probably isn't worth your time to travel there just to see it if you're alread going to the forementioned places.

Safe diving and happy travelling here in the phillipines! I've heard Oct-Feb is the best time to go to Coron.

chip104:
There's also a small plane wreck in Hadsan Reef, Mactan, Cebu. I'm 90% sure it's not WWII and to be honest it probably isn't worth your time to travel there just to see it if you're alread going to the forementioned places.
Chip104,
You're correct, its not WWII plane, just a single engine cessna in 50ft water. IMHO, its not that great.

Enrique

When I was in Subic Bay earlier I think they said there was either a F4 phantom or another vietnam era jet/bomber in the area but beyond rec limits.

During the large attack when all the japanese ships were sunk in Coron an american fighter was shot down.

The pilot survived, but he couldn't give an exact localtion.

Soem of the dive shops over there have been looking for it, but nothing has been found.

As no fishermen have had their nets caught in it, it's probably in deep water.

They have a couple of WW2 tanks (tanks are cooler than airplanes...) in La Union ;

http://www.divephil.com/launion/

hi,
my friend dived off Mariveles bataan, and he said there are airplane wrecks there( fighter planes WW2) at around 45 ft. off water. He said that he saw around 3-4 planes. They went there for spearfishing way back 90's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom