Divers be aware of Attack Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read these articles the other day but I suspect there is more hype than fact. I don't doubt that dolphins have been trained to act as terrorist interceptors and even armed (kind of a hybrid between Flipper and OO7). However, it seems very unlikely to me that the Navy, knowing a major Hurricane was bearing down on their facility, would leave their dolphins "locked and loaded" to wash out to sea. I suspect the dolphins only get weapons mounted when they are actually on patrol operations. Just common sense tells me they weren't armed and unattended in their pens. As to why the Navy wanted to inspect the aquarium dolphins that were caught, that makes sense since it could have been Navy dolphins. This also points to the unlikely scenario that they had weapons mounted. If they did, why inspect them. Just ask if anybody has seen a dolphin with an AK47 strapped to his dorsal :)

This has been discussed on another thread somewhere, and Snopes has agrees with "Probably Not." here

I'm not impressed until they come up with sharks with frikin laser beams. They'd pop a cap in those dolphin's @sses! BLAP BLAP!

They're working on it, in the mean time however would you settle for some sea bass with really bad attitudes? :)

chip104:
I'm not impressed until they come up with sharks with frikin laser beams. They'd pop a cap in those dolphin's @sses! BLAP BLAP!

And the Dophin was named "Bea" Find B find B now...

(with apologies to Agent Maxwell Smart) ... Would you believe, ______________ .

"
Dolphin assassins menace Gulf of Mexico

Rogue cetacean death squad may be armed
Heavily-armed
, frightened, and confused. No, we don't mean the Bush Administration, but a group of killer dolphins trained by the US Navy and lately washed into the Gulf of Mexico by Hurricane Katrina, if The Guardian is to be believed.

According to an Observer report by Mark Townsend Houston, Navy dolphins trained to shoot suspected terrorist frogmen with narcotic dart guns mounted on their heads have gone over the top, and may be menacing divers, and perhaps nice dolphins like the ones recently found cowering near their former pens at the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport, Mississippi. No wonder they were so frightened.
"

They have mated with aliens and will soon give birth to Elvii Clones. (the plural form)

Whacko Jacko has been seen dangling his lure in the Gulf.

Standby for news. Film at 11.

...can't...talk...now everything...going...fuzzy must.....

mike_s:
No.. I'm not kidding... it was on the news...

Apparantly the US Navy has trained Dolphins to attack
and they got loose in the hurricane...

They could mistake divers for terrorist and attack them.

Here's a few of the news articles..

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/09/26/dolphin_assassins_run_amok/

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1577753,00.html

From what I've heard from friends who'd worked in the Red Sea, it's not the commando dolphins that you have to watch out for but the horny ones (seriously, if you're out snorkelling and one of these try to take you under, you've got problems). :11:

Mike Nichols' "The Day of the Dolphin"
Cast & CreditsDr. Jake Terrell George C. Scott
Maggie Terrell Trish Van Devere
Mahoney Paul Sorvino
Harold DeMilo Fritz Weaver
Schwinn Severn Darden

Avco Embassy presents a film directed by Mike Nichols and produced by Robert E. Relyea. Joseph E. Levine, executive producer. Screenplay by Buck Henry, based on the novel by Robert Merle. Photographed by William A. Fraker. Music by Georges Delerue. Edited by Sam O'Steen. Classified G.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps...3&AID1=/19731221/REVIEWS/312210301/1023&AID2=

:D

Louie:
From what I've heard from friends who'd worked in the Red Sea, it's not the commando dolphins that you have to watch out for but the horny ones (seriously, if you're out snorkelling and one of these try to take you under, you've got problems). :11:

A friend of mine does work with dolphins here in Florida, and they can be sexually aggressive towards humans. See, they don't have flippers long enough to reach their own... :11:. Well, nevermind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom