snorkelling fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
g'day fellas,
i m just looking for a pair of fins that would allow me to do both snorkelling and scubadiving as i have noticed many scuba fins are atrocious on surface kicking.
any suggestions?
cheers

kjpwong:
g'day fellas,
i m just looking for a pair of fins that would allow me to do both snorkelling and scubadiving as i have noticed many scuba fins are atrocious on surface kicking.
any suggestions?
cheers

First go with open heel stap type fins and booties. You will surely have some entries over rocky bottoms.

My wife and I have Aeris Velocities, they were highly rated in a dive magazine a few years ago. I made 120 skin-dives with mine before getting certifed and all told they have about 180 dives on them now. They are still in perfect shape though fadded and a bit nicked up. They are a somewhat rigid fin with a soft pliable vented center. The pliable center forms a channel to direct the water for thrust and the vents let excess force release to make them a comforable kicker.

No problem with surface swimming or on scuba dives, nice control. They are not a floppy fin. I added home made spring straps, a nice addition.

Pete

kjpwong:
g'day fellas,
any suggestions?
cheers
Have you tried kick styles other than flutter, which doesn't as work well if the fins are breaking the surface.

thanks for the suggestions.
i m looking for openheel fins which i prefer personally. i have noticed when i look up snorkelling fins on the internet, there would be plenty of fins that say they could be used for both scuba and snorkelling but realistically half of them dont work on the surface, ie original force fin.
are there more types that you guys have used that are acutally good on the surface and underwater?
what other kicking styles are there to be used on the surface? bicycle?
thanks again

I'm not sure what I do is called, I'd say scull but I don't think that's the right term. Basically turn the fins 90 degrees outside edge up (or how however close to that you can do easily), and open and close the legs from the hip. Sort of like a straight legged frog. Works great for me on the surface though I do it UW sometimes too for a change.

i think i get what you mean, kinda like kicking horizotally (like a frog kick) just beneath the surface instead of the flutter kick, kicking up and down?

I'm a fan of the Mares Avanti fin for an all around great fin. You generally get better performance from a full foot fin. You can wear "fin socks" if you want foot protection. The open heeled fins are good too, I use them when I dive with a drysuit or need to wear booties with a sole but they're far less effictive than my full foot fins and far less comfortable on long hard dives.

Take all advise about fins with a grain of salt. There are so many variables that can make a fin super for some and terrible for others. Things like leg strength, leg length, kicking style, foot size and shape, etc. Then add differing diving conditions, water temp., currents, etc. And finally what type of diving you do; drift dive, surface swim, freediving, slow manuverable diving (ie. photograpghy), hunting, etc. etc.

So... for me the Mares Avanti is my favorite all around fin :) But for you.... only you can say! Let us know what works.

http://www.mares.com/catalogo/scheda.asp?idPagina=36&lingua=eng

kjpwong:
i think i get what you mean, kinda like kicking horizotally (like a frog kick) just beneath the surface instead of the flutter kick, kicking up and down?
pretty much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom