Lightning and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spstar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what the Pros & Cons of this are?
I know it doesnt rain under water but what about lightning, I am just finishing up my DM Cert. and nothing has been taught about weather and what to do. I know at swiming pool the lifegaurds always evacuate the pool right away when lightning is in the area.

:11: :06:

I think it's a bad idea. If you're out on a boat, then it's best to head to land to weather out the storm. They can get pretty nasty. However, if you're in the Florida Keys and see lightning striking the land, and you're a safe distance (over five miles) away, I don't see the problem with staying in the water. I have under those circumstances. When in doubt, get out!

We are usually diving in quarries when this comes up. We don't go in until the storm passes but if a storm comes while we are under our practice has always been to stay at safety stop depth or below and try to wait out the storm, they pass relatively quickly in the summer. If waiting it out is not possible (due to gas supply) we get as close to the exit point as possible at depth then ascend in buddy pairs (lowest gas goes first). Each buddy pair gets out of the water as quickly as possible then the next pair ascends and exits.

That's just our practice, we never received any official "in case of lightning" training either.
Ber :lilbunny:

If you're in the ocean, as long as you're a few feet below the surface, you'll be fine... It's if you're ON the surface where you'll get electrocuted. It does light things up for you...

It's not a great idea, but if you find yourself caught in it... at least you know to get back on the boat ASAP

Common issue on the lakes here. Standard was if you saw lightning strike anywhere, everyone was to leave the water. This was with classes.

Fortunately I rarely face that living here in soCal, but I grew up and started my diving in the Midwest. I never dive with lightning striking within visual distance. I'm a wimp... two lightning bolts, separated by several years, struck within feet of my bedroom. I don't want a third strike!!

spstar:
Does anyone know what the Pros & Cons of this are?
I know it doesnt rain under water but what about lightning, I am just finishing up my DM Cert. and nothing has been taught about weather and what to do. I know at swiming pool the lifegaurds always evacuate the pool right away when lightning is in the area.

:11: :06:

A couple of Cave Divers were hit by a lightning strike that went through the ground and the water they were swimmining in at the time. I'd be careful! :11:

Having lived aboard a forty foot sailboat for years and knowing a large number of liveaboards, I can think of only two instances where someone on a boat was serious injured by a lightning hit. Generally when a boat is struck, the lightning pretty much goes everywhere and destroys a lot of electrical gear, but aside from burns, it doesn't electrocute anyone because they are not grounded (or because it chooses not to, who knows).

A sailboat is like a metal pole forty or fifty feet high (even if it's a wooden boat and a wooden spar, the mast has electrical lines that run to the top of the mast) saying 'hit me' in the middle of the ocean, so strikes happen with some degree of frequency.

When your 200 miles from land or even anchored in Biscayne bay, you're stuck in the storm when it comes up, you can't get out of the pool.

On the question of being on the surface, I think the likelihood of being struck would be extremely low because your profile sticking above the water in so low. Lightning works in a counter intuitive way. It doesn't 'strike down' ionised particles discharge up to the cloud and then the visible lightning follows the 'path' back 'down' to the grounded object. This accumulation of particles tends to gather around (or ionise around) objects with some height and often with irregular features, say an antenna or electric pole. I don't think, and I may be wrong on this, lightning just strikes the ground in an open field, at least not very often.

Stan

Lightening doesn't penetrate water, it DOES skip across it though, so if your surfaced you can get hit, under and your fine.

Best night dive ever was in Coz when lightening moved overhead early in the dive and stayed with us thru most of the dive. Thankfully it moved off before we surfaced. Lightening flashes lasting 3 or 4 seconds lit up the underwater world. Spectacular. I'm not sure the boat crew felt the same way.

Back
Top Bottom