My First Sixgill Shark Encounter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
After thousands of dives in Puget Sound this is the first sixgill I have seen. Shane and I have actually gone on dives specifically looking for them and hanging out deep waiting. NWGratefulDiver saw a sixgill just after Shane and I had gotten out of the water on one such dive. Later I read Bob's report of sighting a sixgill at Cove 2 in 70' of water and just shook my head.

Tuesday OE2X and I met at Alki Cove 2 (West Seattle) for a late afternoon/early evening dive. Our first stop was to be the log pile at 100' and from there we would swim across the bottom as usual to the I-beams at 100'~90'.

It was at the logs that I saw her. She was about 8' long and on the opposite side of me... OE2X couldn't see her from where he was. While keeping my eyes on her I flashed my HID at OE2X to get his attention. At the same time the sixgill turned toward us and circled around coming between us. I was trying to get my camera to focus so I could get pictures. Not much chance of that in the dark with a PnS internal flash!

Then she turned again and swam right toward me. I was hovering ~5 feet off the bottom and she glided right under me! I resisted the urge to *touch* and instead tried to get off another shot with the camera. The pictures I took with the camera are hopeless but the ones in my head are very clear and permanent. Most likely the mental pictures will actually increase in clarity of detail and size of shark with time. :D

But the best was for last.

After the dive OE2X told me he was going to take credit for me seeing the sixgill. Huh?! As we were swimming down the line to the logs he prayed and asked that I would get to see a sixgill. :D

101' max/54' average ~ 84 minute runtime ~ EAN32

UP,
Stop jumping up and down - I can hear the vibrations this side of the Atlantic and it'll spoil the viz :) !

Hey Good for you UP, can you help me find my missing boot? :wink:

I was pretty cool. I've seen sharks in Hawaii as well as Fiji... but there is just something electric about having one of these glide a foot under you in the dark cold low viz water of Puget Sound. :D

That is very cool. The closest I have gotten to a six gill, was after doing a dive at Whitecliff in Vancouver someone saw one there a week after I left.

Very cool UP, you're right about the magic of a six-gill encounter. I treasure the mental pictures of my one sighting, also at cove 2 but over at the I-beams, as one of my best dives.

Awesome!

Uncle Pug:
The pictures...in my head are very clear and permanent.

Please have these developed ASAP and post them before the shark grows too big to fit on the page :D

Congrats, sounds awesome...

David

Uncle Pug,

Are you familiar with TLSea's dive shop in Seattle. My brother in law is a Instructor there. It sounds like it is a nice shop to be in. They seem to do more club events in it than the dive shops here in Florida

the Dive Bum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom