Dive conditions in Sarasota, Venice area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajen

Reaction score
My husband and I are heading down to Sarasota the 2nd week in Oct.
Hoping to get some diving in the Sarasota area and do a shark tooth dive.
How are the diving conditions? I have read where there have been some problems with Red Tide.

Thanks,
Jen

I haven't heard of any issues with red tide either from the beach or at the boneyard/golden beach.

My understanding is that this weekend, vis was < 1'. This changes on a moment's notice, though.

If'n your look'n for sharks teeth then Sarasota ain't the place. Venice Beach for sure. The Viz this weekend was about 8'. Not to bad for this area. But ReefGuy is right things can change in a heart beat. Keep an eye open for a post on Venice beach dives for a weekend and ya'll find one here someplace. Many people dive here but for the teeth usually.

Taildragger, I'm trying to get out there Sat AM. U interested?

To keep up on red tide, go to: http://research.myfwc.com/features/view_article.asp?id=9670

A little exerpt:
Southwest Region: A Florida red tide caused by the microalga Karenia brevis is still present along southwest Florida. Concentrations of K. brevis were mostly low to medium this week along the coast from northern Pinellas County to Collier County; high concentrations were found in the Sarasota Bay area (Longboat Pass and New Pass). The offshore component of the bloom, which has been detected off the coast of Clearwater since early August, continues and extends to at least Lee County. Fish kills and some respiratory irritation were reported from Pinellas, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee, and Collier counties. Red tide effects may occur at beach and bay areas as long as the bloom persists and are most noticeable when winds are from the west.

Definitely got the fish kills here.. the beach is absolutely no fun to go to. The River also has blue-green algae in it now to....

ReefGuy:
Taildragger, I'm trying to get out there Sat AM. U interested?
I might have to take the wings for our Stearman to the Hanger in Bartow but will let you know. bdrannik is always up for a dive nontheless. Will leave a message tonight and let you know for sure.

OK.. what are the conditions? I'll tell ya first hand. The seas were pretty flat when we got there this AM, the winds did pick up considerably as the day went on but it was offshore. The vis was 10-12'. Bottom temp (max of 20') was 88. We did find some live reef and a change of the bottom at the 18-20 area off Alhambra which included finding more teeth out there along with quite a few nice fossil bones.

What about Red Tide? Jeff and I both noticed it when we entered, as if the dead fish on the beach weren't much of a hint. It was enough that I had to take time to remove my mask, clear my sinuses out for the shrimp and fish to nibble, then replace and clear my mask.. a fortunate even as I found another 3" meg for my collection. :)

scubajen:
My husband and I are heading down to Sarasota the 2nd week in Oct.
Hoping to get some diving in the Sarasota area and do a shark tooth dive.
How are the diving conditions? I have read where there have been some problems with Red Tide.

Thanks,
Jen
I just talked to friends on 10-02 who have a condo on Anna Maria Island, just offshore from Sarasota. They stayed off the beach and couldn't take a walk without coughing. An old timer told them it's bad like this every time there is a beach renourishment going on. They also said they sometimes find shark teeth on the beach.

Good luck with your trip.

I was on Hollywood Beach today, swimming in the heavy surf. Wow, the weather really has the water churned up.

Jack

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom