Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Wreck Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Does padi Have a Master diver Course? Not the dive master course. I know NAUI has a Master diver course and I was wondering what it was all about?
Thanks
NJWD

Kind of. The Master Scuba Diver rating can be applied for after you've done Rescue and five speciality courses.

Supposedly, it's the pinnacle of recreational diving (PADI's words, not mine!) but the other opinion is that it's a marketing scam to make you pay for speciality courses. You can decide which!

No, with PADI there is no special course you have to take to get that C card, just complete your 5 specialties and then apply for the title.

NAUI has a course, see here: http://www.naui.org/master_scuba_diver.php, but it seems that lot of the materials covered in that course are pre-requisites for PADI as well to get the cert. With PADI you do it on your own with certifications while NAUI jams it into one course (it seems)

NJ Wreck Diver:
Does padi Have a Master diver Course? Not the dive master course. I know NAUI has a Master diver course and I was wondering what it was all about?
Thanks
NJWD

PADI has the Master Diver certificate of recognition once you complete Rescue and 5 specialities. NAUI has a Master Diver course but it involves less training and has fewer requirements compared to the PADI Master Diver program.

You can check the respective websites for the details but in summary:

NAUI: Must have Advanced Certification and complete a course which includes 8 dives. A skin dive may count for one of these. There are no minimum requirements beyond having completed the Advanced certification (no min # of dives, etc.).

PADI: Must have Rescue certification, min of 50 logged dives, and complete 5 specialties.

I wish the requirements for all dive certifications were more rigorous. With that as a caveat, I think a Master Diver program serves as a good tool to continue training beyond Open Water. Along the way you may get some great instructors and experience multiple environments.

--Matt

Personally, I think the PADI Master Diver cert is a total waste. Take the specialties for their own sake. If you've taken them, gotten rescue, and have a bunch of dives, why pay more for a card that doesn't teach you anything you don't already know? It's for card collectors, and not worth the plastic it's printed on IMHO.

I'd rather spend my money on a 6th specialty than on a meaningless wallet thickener, and I'd advise anyone else to do the same. Do you want to be a better diver, or pay to be called one?

I figure about the only reason to get the PADI Master Diver card once you have enough classes, would be if you need a replacement card anyway. (That said, I might be embarassed to flash a Master Diver card, and replace AOW or Rescue instead if I needed a card.) If it listed all your specialties it might be useful in a few cases, but I don't think it does.

Some people like to brag . . . some people like to dive.

Just my opinion.

the K

NJ Wreck Diver:
Thanks
NJWD

SSI offers a Master Diver course as well.

For $35, I didn't see it as too big of an investment to make for taking OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties that I would have already taken anyways, and logging 50 dives. At the very least, what I see this card establishing on sight is that you have at least 50 dives logged and have dove in various conditions.

That said, I am not completely enamored with PADI, and am currently seeking to diversify my training through multi-agency training. Any suggestions welcome...

Damselfish:
I figure about the only reason to get the PADI Master Diver card once you have enough classes, would be if you need a replacement card anyway. (That said, I might be embarassed to flash a Master Diver card, and replace AOW or Rescue instead if I needed a card.) If it listed all your specialties it might be useful in a few cases, but I don't think it does.

If one of the specialties is nitrox it would be listed on the Master Diver card. Nitrox is the only specialty c-card anyone would ever ask to see so PADI will print "nitrox" on your other cards just so you never have to cary around more then one card

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom