BP/W Weighting Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead

Contributor
Reaction score
I received my DSS Single Tank rig last week and will get it wet for the first time this weekend. My problem is this......I will not have a chance to do a thorough buoyancy check before the dive, and want to use my new setup. I have been using a Seaquest Pro QD+ BC and 10 lbs of weight with my 3/2 wetsuit. If I just took the 10 lbs of weight I currently use, and subtracted 6 lbs for the SS backplate, that would leave 4 pounds. I think the Seaquest is positively buoyant by a pound or two, so I might be able to get down to only 2 pounds of weight with the DSS BP/W. Based on your experience going from a vest BC to a BP/W and the weighting requirements, what would be a good amount of weight for me to go with for my first dive...4 lbs? After the first dive, I can tweak it a little, but I'm going to have to pick a weight and go with it for the first one.

4 pounds will put you in the ball park. You may be a tad overweighted, but not significantly.

the K

Dirthead,

Congrats on going with a BP/W setup, you will probably find it more intuitive than the Seaquest. I too owned a Pro QD+ before moving to a Halcyon, and haven't looked back since.

4lbs should get you in the ballpark, but you'll have to "futz" with it to get it just right.

-DS

dirthead:
I received my DSS Single Tank rig last week and will get it wet for the first time this weekend. My problem is this......I will not have a chance to do a thorough buoyancy check before the dive, and want to use my new setup. I have been using a Seaquest Pro QD+ BC and 10 lbs of weight with my 3/2 wetsuit. If I just took the 10 lbs of weight I currently use, and subtracted 6 lbs for the SS backplate, that would leave 4 pounds. I think the Seaquest is positively buoyant by a pound or two, so I might be able to get down to only 2 pounds of weight with the DSS BP/W. Based on your experience going from a vest BC to a BP/W and the weighting requirements, what would be a good amount of weight for me to go with for my first dive...4 lbs? After the first dive, I can tweak it a little, but I'm going to have to pick a weight and go with it for the first one.

I also concur with all the posts so far that 4 lbs should be enough (also the endorsement that BP/W are great). If possible, you may want to to get a trim pocket and split the weights into 2 lbs. That way you can remove 2 lbs for fine tuning between dives.

Thanks for the replies. I took 2 weight pockets from an XS Scuba weight belt and and put them on the waist strap, one on each side next to the backplate. Each pocket can hold 4-5 pounds of weight. I plan to put two 1 pound soft weights in each pocket. That way, I can easily remove 2 pounds if I am overweighted.

4lbs should be more than enough. You might be able to go down with as little as 2lbs (which you already figured out......). I would suggest you do a weight check and you will know the appropriate weight you will need.

I started out with a ProQD+ myself and switched to BP+Wing. I know exactly how you feel about switching over to BP+Wing. Just love it.

Enjoy!!!!

dirthead:
Thanks for the replies. I took 2 weight pockets from an XS Scuba weight belt and and put them on the waist strap, one on each side next to the backplate. Each pocket can hold 4-5 pounds of weight. I plan to put two 1 pound soft weights in each pocket. That way, I can easily remove 2 pounds if I am overweighted.

Excellent. Once you finalize you can even take all your weight off your waist strap by attaching the pockets to the you tank straps (assuming on using singles or an STA and you're comfortable with having no "dumpable" weights ... I am).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom