BP/Wing Throwing your head forward???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

Chances are he has never tried a BP/W and was told that by someone else who has never tried one.

There is no truth whatsoever to that statement.

Nah, the only way you'll get anywhere near being "forced" face down is if you blow the wings all the way up, something you shouldn't be doing anyway. Most all the time you can just sort of "balance" yourself so there's no sculling, fighting, etc., It'll be like riding a bicycle, not that easy to describe but once ya got it, it's second nature.
It's pretty common practice for shops to poo poo gear they don't sell. :wink:

robbcayman:
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

Old, tired, disproven myth, that seems to have great staying power.

A properly weighted diver, using a well fitted BP&W, and using a crotch strap
will not be forced face first.

If you are properly weighted how much air do you need in your BC to be comfortable at the surface? A very small amount, which will fill the top arc of the wing, i.e right behind your head. The crotch strap assures that You and BP&W rise out of the water as you add gas.

It is quite common to see jacket BC users, overweighted, and without a crotch strap, filling their BC fully in a fruitless attempt to get comfortable at the surface. Without a crotch strap the BC climbs over their head, and they panic, and add more gas 'till the OPV pops.

Tobin

robbcayman:

I think a lot of BP and wing divers would be switching if that were the case, I have used both the traditional BP and the newer BC and it is a whole lot more comfortable to dive the BP without all the pockets and crap that surrounds you.

If you are used to using a jacket type BC and inflating it fairly full at the surface, doing the same thing with a BP/W may give you the feeling of being pushed forward especially with a larger than necessary wing. If you get that feeling, there are a couple of simple solutions. First is don't inflate the wing any more than necessary to float about chin high. If you want more inflation than that (or want to take a nap while you are waiting) fill up that wing and float on your back like laying on a raft. A BP/w is just not going to cork you up until you are floating chest high like a jacket BC or life preserver could.

Many shops that don't sell BPs sure seem to have a lot of experts on their perceived shortcomings. Next year when they start selling them, they'll tell you about all the advantages.

I don't use a crotch strap.

I was told the same thing from a shop that didn't sell them. I was scared to death the first time I wore a BP/W for my dry suit certification. Completely unfounded fear. I liked it so much I bought myself the Ladyhawk BI. Which isn't a BP/W but BI have been accused of the same thing.
I'm so glad I came to this board first and got the skinny on this or I might never have discovered the comfort of a BI and BP/W designs.

Is Halycon the way to go with BP/W??? I don't care what my DM says I'm getting one.

Halcyon is nice.

So are Oxycheq and Deep Sea Supply in particular.. there are others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom