SB-102 and NiMh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spyder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

What kind of batteries do you use in your SB-102? I was thinking of using some NiMh cells but hearing that it's a no-no, shortens the life span of the electronics.

spyder:
Greetings,

What kind of batteries do you use in your SB-102? I was thinking of using some NiMh cells but hearing that it's a no-no, shortens the life span of the electronics.

Hi Spyder,

I've been using NiMh batteries in my SB-105s for Six years and they seem to work fine. I think a fresh set of Ni-Cads may last a bit longer than a set of freshly charged NiMh, but I can easily get two dives on a set of NiMH cells.

Boydski,

Thanks but I'm looking for info on a 102. The 102 I beleive is older than the 105 which is why I'm hearing they can't handle the new NiMh cells (5000mah).

What kind of batteries does it use? Special Nikon batteries or regular ol AA/C/D batteries?

pants!

It uses C alkaline or nicad. The recyle time on alkaline is pretty slow and would like to speed it up. I was told the newer nicad/NiMh are too strong for it but would like to hear from people that have tried them.

NiMH will work fine. Whoever told you they were too strong doesn't know what they're talking about.

NiMH batteries have the same voltage as NiCad batteries. The higher mAh rating simply means they will last longer.

pants!:
NiMH will work fine. Whoever told you they were too strong doesn't know what they're talking about.
Unless they are an older piece of equipment with electronics (usually a CMOS integrated circuit) that is sensitive to dV/dT induced SCR latchup. There are indeed some electronics out there that will destroy themselves when low internal impedance (high short circuit current) batteries such as NiCd and NiMH are plugged into them. Not common, and not hard to design around, but there are pieces of electronics where it is a problem.

I had an SB-102 right after Nikon started distributing it. For 5 of the first 7 years that I owned it, Nikon in Norcross, GA had it for one repair after another until it finally got the bugs out. It worked for the years after that when I used it. Nikon ALWAYS recommended non-rechargeables, so I would end to stay with that call. If there was a rechargeable pack suitable for it, Nikon would have marketed it. So you can trust the advice of all these experts or listen to Nikon. Your call.

Tom,

Interesting... Just got off the phone with Nikon tech support. The gentleman acted knowledgeable on the 102 and said NiMh would be fine. Just to make sure he checked with a couple of other techs and was told as long as the voltage was under 1.5v which the NiMh are there wouldn't be a problem. I guess the new lithium ion cells can be above that and cause problems?

I had a SB 102, wish I never sold it! anyway, NIMH work fine! Nicads recycled faster but died sooner!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom