Looking for suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy my first dive camera. I would like a camera with underwater case, so that I can use it outside of the water too. Anyway, here are some of the features I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'd like to spend no more than $550. I would like it to have a flash. I would like for it to have underwater color filter. I would like for it to have settings for close-up pics. It would help if it took short video clips. I'd like it not to be too big, though I don't need it super compact or anything. Ummm... definitely digital with a display screen. I know some have that double lense feature where it doesn't fog up under water. That would be nice. OK that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for any help!
Vio

I don't know about the $550 range, but I have the SeaLife DC500. You could always upgrade and add the external strobe too, but it's cheaper overall to buy the Pro Set.
www.sealife-cameras.com

Hi... I have posted it before, and everyone else will say their camera is the BEST.

I can say that for $550... I bought for my wife a Canon S70 with a DC40 Waterproof Housing. The NEWER photos in my gallery are taken with that camera. They are also with ONLY the internal flash. This camera has UW Modes, Macro (close up), Video Clips, good compact size, with a 1.5 X 1.25 " Screen, and it's 7 Megapixel.

I spent a lot of time researching cameras myself when I purchased this for my wife. I thought the 28mm wide angle lens made this camera a better choice than other 7 megapixel cameras.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=10460

If you put a Silica Gel (the little things in your aspirin bottles) in the housing... They won't fog. That goes for any housing.

Good Luck...Comparing...

Edited to include - The Videos on my gallery are NOT with the S70, but I shoot video with a Sony Camcorder.

I'm in the middle of researching my first camera purchase too, although my criteria are a little different. I'd say -look for a good deal on a regular digital camera (perhaps on eBay). When you find one you like, see if there's an underwater housing for it. A camera should cost around $200, the housing maybe $300. Shipping and handling will fill out the rest of our $550. Repeat until you find a combination that'll work for you.

As for the camera -don't get pulled in by the more mega-pixels craze. I currently work (on land) with a 2MP camera and I've gotten great results with it.

When researching cameras, use www.epinions.com or www.amazon.com to find customer reviews to make sure the time between shots isn't excessive, etc.

My 2¢
-Erica

devolution365:
As for the camera -don't get pulled in by the more mega-pixels craze. I currently work (on land) with a 2MP camera and I've gotten great results with it.

It's not the results that you can see on your computer screen. The question really is...

How big would you like to be able to enlarge a print of your BEST photo?

If you make an 11X14 with a 2MP camera vs. 11X14 with a 7MP camera, then you'll see the difference.

howarde:
If you make an 11X14 with a 2MP camera vs. 11X14 with a 7MP camera, then you'll see the difference.

The average person won't every blow up a pic that big. A photographer will, but they'll spend more than $550 on their setup. :wink:

devolution365:
The average person won't every blow up a pic that big. A photographer will, but they'll spend more than $550 on their setup. :wink:

We are not professional photographers, but framed photos look good at 11X14, or even bigger.

We spent EXACTLY $509.80 for our S70 and WP-DC40.

Your argument is invalid.

Okay, okay, I'll rephrase: If you're just looking to take nice pictures underwater don't get caught in the megapixel craze. If you intend on taking pictures destined to be framed and hung, find out what megapixels are and decide for yourself what you need.

The problem is this: there's junk cameras being sold with *BIG* megapixel rates, but lacking the other features that make a quality camera (like the glass!). It's an easy trap to fall into.

We all have to find the balance between quality and budget. Yes, with the $550 price tag you can get a very nice camera and housing. I never meant my 2MP example as a suggestion to go with 2MP, that's extremely low. It's just that if you're up against a decision between a Canon S70 like Howarde's and a HappyCamera 2000 (TM) with a whopping 12MP's (8 MP interpolated), don't jump for the *12* MP because of the megapixels.

Grr... I guess I'll have to be more careful with what I post in the future. You're right, this needed to be clarified. I guess I'm doing too many things at once here...

More pixels also come in handy if you want to crop a photo :wink:

devolution365:
We all have to find the balance between quality and budget. Yes, with the $550 price tag you can get a very nice camera and housing. I never meant my 2MP example as a suggestion to go with 2MP, that's extremely low. It's just that if you're up against a decision between a Canon S70 like Howarde's and a HappyCamera 2000 (TM) with a whopping 12MP's (8 MP interpolated), don't jump for the *12* MP because of the megapixels.

Ok... I'll agree with this one...

Also... There is a difference between a Canon 7MP, an Olympus 7MP, Nikon, etc...

I used to work at a photo store, and my old boss actually did a test shot with the big 3 in the 6MP P&S Cameras... He also picked the Canon.
Not trying to start an argument...

I spent more than a week, debating over which camera to buy for my wife. I carefully looked at these factors...

1) A good camera with a wide angle lens (widest I could get in a P&S)
2) Is there a housing available for this camera? (I didn't want to spend 500 on the housing, like an Ikelite)
3) What is the recycle rate, write time, etc.

Those are the things I looked for... Perhaps there are other good pointers from other people here.

Back
Top Bottom