Air hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a bit of an air hog. Though I am new to scuba I feel no anxiety whatsoever in the water and don't work that hard. Are there out of water exercises I can try that might curb my appetite? Also I'm taking the Enriched air class in a week. does one generally consume EAN at the same rate as plain air? Thanks

Yes, you will consume nitrox at the same rate that you do 21% O2 air.

As far as exercises go, I think the general consensus will be that you just need to get into the best physical shape that you can.

Any of the baddies that are generally associated with heart attacks can cause a higher respiratory requirement, also.

the K

Not to deminish anything that has already been said (as I agree with this), keep in mind that not everyone has the same lung capacity. If you have a large lung capacity and take a deep breath, guess what? You will just consume more volume and exhaust your tanks that much quicker than the next person.

Therefore, fitness will help your body adapt to using O2 more efficiently - thus, reducing your body's demand for another breath. If you are like those of us that find getting in shape something that is rather difficult to do, you may want to compensate for this by moving to a larger tank size/volume.

Over time, as you get your dive routine down pat and more comfortable under water/or getting to the water, you may find that your air consumption will improve as well. Being calm under water helps, but if you're out of breath trying to get your fins on in the surf...

George Scherman:
I am a bit of an air hog. Though I am new to scuba I feel no anxiety whatsoever in the water and don't work that hard. Are there out of water exercises I can try that might curb my appetite? Also I'm taking the Enriched air class in a week. does one generally consume EAN at the same rate as plain air? Thanks

Nitrox is not your solution.

Dive....dive....dive....dive....dive....dive....dive....

That's the only way.

R..

George Scherman:

Your comfortable and don't work hard. I read that as anxiety and fitness are OK.

Go skin-diving between dive days. I'm talking 1-2 hour sessions covering a mile or two. Find a pretty cove or a nice pond and go for it. You can stop and enjoy what you find but keep that snorkel in your mouth. Sustained oral breathing with your face n the water will be a big help. Concentrate on deep slow breaths to get good air exchange in your lungs through the snorkel tube. Wear weights approprate to your westuit for loading and so you can pike down to check stuff out.

The other thing that I'd like to think helps is singing out loud in the car, go ahead and laugh! Sing along loudly and with gusto and it too is great breath control. As you strengthen your diaphram you will be able to control those long slow deep breaths that will get the Co2 out of your system and bring fresh air into your lungs. Remember that at depth you have many more molecules of oxygen in every breath.

Lastly make sure you are properly weighted, have good trim swim with your arms at your side or crossed and take your time down there.

Pete

What Diver0001 said.

George Scherman:

What makes you think you are an air hog? Before you worry about it actually calculate your air consumption. Then be sure to take into account your body size and type. Then add in your lung volume. When you get done with all that you may find that you are in fact a very efficient breather for a person of your size and lung volume. Or, you may prove that you are an air hog. Can't tell until you get some data.

Comparison with other folks proves nothing except we are all different.

That said, there is not a whole lot in life that can't benefit from a good life style that includes a good diet, strength training and aerobic exercise.

George Scherman:

When I first started diving in Cozumel, I wasn't an air hog, but I wanted to improve my SAC. The DMs told me about the 3 in and 5 out method. Inhale for 3 seconds and exhale slowly for 5 seconds.

If you have access to a pool, get some tanks and go sit in the pool and do nothing but 3 in and 5 out until you can get in a rhythm and do it automatically. While you are there, try to totally relax. Relax.

Next step is to work on eliminating all extraneous movements. A lot of new divers move their hands constantly and fin entirely too much. Often just one fin flick will glide you along. You don't need to do the stiff leg pumping that you may have learned in OW. Keep your hands together. Think of your energy as money and try not to spend it unnecessarily.

Get rid of any danglies and streamline.

Final step is to visualize yourself as relaxed diver making long exhales while gliding along effortlessly using only the energy required and moving just enough and no more.

It takes time.

What Redhatmama said.

My story:
I streamlined everything, stopped using my hands and slowed my dives way down. My SAC was .50 typically for a non working dive. In the past few months I've lost about 45 lbs and have been working to get into aerobic shape. Now I have about 10 extra pounds, but I can hike without getting winded. What I noticed is that my SAC is now about .33 to .35 on an average dive. I can do a dive staying 30 minutes at 100' on 32% and have the whole dive last 90 - 115 minutes and use up 2400 to 2700 psi. I always admired my dive buddy Uncle Pug because he go an hour on a full 6 cubic foot pony :D Now my SAC is as good if not better than his.

Bottom line if you are overweight and out of shape and can change that, this will help. Streamline your gear, stop using your hands, slow down your dive, and dive, dive, dive will be equally important.

Practice yoga and you'll learn how to breath. Fill your lungs from the bottom. Your belly should expand, not your chest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom