acb weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver30

Reaction score
Hello everybody

Im purchasing some halcyon acb weights in a few weeks, i was just wandering if any body has had any ecperience with them cause im getting fedup wearing a weight belt wid me harness. and id be grateful if any body new of any other weighting systems like halcyons acb's weighting thanks

diver30 :)

Hi D30,

I just recently dove my Halcyon rig for the first time, and I've got the 15 lb. ACB's on it. They worked pretty well, but one consideration I didn't think of ahead of time is what a pain in the arse it can be to deal with all of my weight in one package (Steel LP95 tank, Backplate, +26 pounds of lead.)

I've found that I'll be able to drop more weight from my pouches thanks to the minimalism of the sytem, making the whole MC lighter. But last weekend I kept thinking that a high quality weight belt would be nice to have.

The new system from DUI:
DUI WT2 might be a good compromise between the ACB and a weightbelt for you.

Something to consider anyway.

Cheers,

Rick

P.S. Which football club do you support?

D30,
26 lbs lead, 6 lbs backplate and a steel tank???
I hope you are a very new diver in a wet suit and that you learned to dive with PADI or something...

Best money you can spend is to get to a DIR-F class and learn to use that rig.

With a can light, lp104 and backplate...
My weightbelt consists of a belt and 1 (one) 5 lbs piece of lead...

If you need suggestions on getting weighted out properly, see your local GUE shop.

Cheers,
Dane

Originally posted by GearHead
(Steel LP95 tank, Backplate, +26 pounds of lead.)

I'm diving a steel 95LP, 8lb backplate + STA, and only need 10lb of lead - and that's in a 7mm semi dry. I'm 6'3", 220lb - you should be able to shave some of that weight even if you're diving dry.

Back to the original question, I use the ACB+ - five pounds a side. I actually quite like it - never been a fan of weightbelts. Having only 5lb in each pocket keeps it manageable - but I never cart the thing around with the weights in the pockets - they're the last things to go on the rig before I kit up. Underwater you would never know they're there. Just use single hard leads in them if you get the ACB+ and need more than 5lbs in each pocket. They're not very roomy, and will only take the rated capacity if it's a single hard weight. The curved hip kind work well. I use a single 5lb soft weight, and that's about as full as they go without straining the buckles or material. Keep an eye on eBay - every now and again Uncle Pug convinces someone to sell theirs :)

Yup, I think I should be able to shed quite a bit of lead. Like I said, it was my first weekend diving the rig, and I felt WAY overweighted, so I'm going to drop 6 right away for my next dive, and see if I can go further down from there. Believe me, I don't want any more lead than necessary, but with my previous BC and an Aluminum tank, I needed much more.

Originally posted by bengiddins

I'm diving a steel 95LP, 8lb backplate + STA, and only need 10lb of lead - and that's in a 7mm semi dry. I'm 6'3", 220lb - you should be able to shave some of that weight even if you're diving dry.

That's correct, diver30 - the ACB pouches slides onto the waist harness, and is held onto the backplate with a bolt through a grommet. The weight pockets slide into the pouches and are held in place with a clip. Have a look on the Halcyon website (www.halcyon.net) and you should be able to find a picture.

Even with all the lead I was wearing last weekend, I was comfy as could be, especially in the water. And that's saying something considering the 200 yards of shore walk that I had round-trip.

Originally posted by diver30
ive seen a piture they look good but are they comfy on your waist

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom