Snow crab leg help! Quick!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
The dear one & I had been looking forward to a snow crab leg feast this evening, but she ended up going out of town yesterday, and won't be back till 8:30 tonight. Since she always handles steaming them, I am lost on doing that, but would love to surprise her with a delicious dinner when she gets in.

I think I can handle setting up the steaming pot, but how do I know when they are done? Help out a guy looking to surprise his girl.

Men....

Toss the little buggers in a big pot of boiling water. I season the water with a lot of Old Bay and it gives the crabs a great taste. For about 2-5 pounds I usually let them cook for about 15-20 minutes. The shell will get a brighter color and much softer.

It's a dead give away when they stop screaming, too.

I prefer our King Crabs but snow is good too. Don't forget to melt a lot of butter and season it with garlic and Chipotle if you have any. The kind you grind up not the sauce.

oh...the sauce is for dipping the crab don't pour it into the pot.

So boil them, instead of steaming?

I like Old Bay for my special Shrimp ala Scubafool, so it sounds good hear.

As far as sreaming, all I have are the leg clusters, does the brighter & softer rule apply to the shell of the legs also?

And many thanks, this is gonna be a great night at the fool house.

scubafool:
So boil them, instead of steaming?

I like Old Bay for my special Shrimp ala Scubafool, so it sounds good hear.

As far as sreaming, all I have are the leg clusters, does the brighter & softer rule apply to the shell of the legs also?

And many thanks, this is gonna be a great night at the fool house.

We always boil them. Primarily because we usually have whole legs (and usually it's 24in King) and they don't fit in a standard steamer pan. They won't overcook. But if you don't have a lot of them, decrease the time and watch. They should get a bit brighter. At least the Alaska species do. I'm assuming yours are from elsewhere. But don't worry, they'll be fine.

When they sell them to you they have already been cooked once so all you are doing is reheating them. You will not burn them or anything so don't worry. 15-20 mins tops and you're done.

Cool! I have got a pot full of water with a generous amount of Old Bay added. Now to find the camp stove & propane bottle, so as to keep the heat of cooking outside.

Hey, I would blow you a kiss, but I am saving them up for my wife!

scubafool:
Cool! I have got a pot full of water with a generous amount of Old Bay added. Now to find the camp stove & propane bottle, so as to keep the heat of cooking outside.

Hey, I would blow you a kiss, but I am saving them up for my wife!

You are welcome.
But if you expect your honey to kiss you back...clean up that mess you know you're making. :05:

Mmmm, that was the best crab legs that we have ever inhaled, I mean ate. Thanks again, I think we have a new favorite crab leg recipe, even though I got a lecture on how I was "Doing it Wrong" when she got home.

scubafool:
Mmmm, that was the best crab legs that we have ever inhaled, I mean ate. Thanks again, I think we have a new favorite crab leg recipe, even though I got a lecture on how I was "Doing it Wrong" when she got home.

Hehehe :D
What did you expect? You're a guy. You are always wrong. Just accept that and life become much easier for you. Trust me.

I've got more Alaskan recipes for seafood if you ever need them. Granted they require Alaska seafood, but I'm sure you can adapt them.

Glad it all went well for you.

Back
Top Bottom