equipment cleaning and storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stander

Reaction score
New to this great sport (8 dives) and need to know the best way to clean my wetsuit, BC and other equipment after diving. I have been diving in fresh water and rinse everything with fresh water (hose) and hang it up to dry when I get home. Is there any special detergent or something that should be used? Also what about storage over the winter months? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The LDS uses a small squirt of dish washing liquid in the large trash can to wash the gear in
I use a small squirt of hair shampoo in the tub to wash mine ( I like Pantene Pro-V , ) leaves the gear shiny-new :D
After many dives , if you notice that your boots do not smell nice , you can use a product like "Sink the Stink" (and others) a natural enzyme cleaner that will safely remove oders
Be careful of storing your gear .. not too hot and no electric moters near it (like washer/dryer , electric motors give off ozone, bad for rubber)

DB

A bit of listerine or other mouthwash in the BC can be good, add it, plus water, swish, empty, rinse with fresh water.
As to neoprene cleaning, there are normal enzymatic cleaners, like Kids N' Pets, available at grocery stores -- they're marketed to remove stink from clothing. Just toss the boots, suit, ... in a large bucket or bathtub, with enzyme cleaner, swish it around, let it sit for a while, then rinse. (Nothing wrong with Sink the Stink, just that the standard household stuff is much cheaper, like $8 for a full quart.)
Avoid washing machines -- tears the stitching.

NYHippo:
Is it better to hang a wetsuit or fold it and put on a shelf?

Even since before I started diving, I've always been told it is best to hang wetsuits...or at least lay it out flat.

Hang a wet suit on a big well rounded hanger, folding can put in creases and creases begin to break down the neoprene.

I went out and bought a steel garment rack for $59. I hang and wash everything when I get home right on the rack then when its done dripping I just hang it up in my shop in the house.

I haven't had a stink issue yet, maybe its due to dilligent washing. I know others that dive fresh water and don't rinse theirs at all and they stink, boy do they stink

gtcpl2:
I haven't had a stink issue yet, maybe its due to dilligent washing. I know others that dive fresh water and don't rinse theirs at all and they stink, boy do they stink

Your time will come! My booties hung in there fresh into the second year and for about 150 dives, then after one divem wow. I think hitting water with the wrong bio load has something to do with it. They seem to be clearing up slowly. I just haven't gotten around to getting some enzyme cleaner.

Pete

stander:
New to this great sport (8 dives) and need to know the best way to clean my wetsuit, BC and other equipment after diving. I have been diving in fresh water and rinse everything with fresh water (hose) and hang it up to dry when I get home. Is there any special detergent or something that should be used? Also what about storage over the winter months? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here's what we do.......
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1151329&postcount=8

Pete

After everything is washed and dried completely, I lay my wetsuit, unfolded, flat out under my bed or on the long top shelf across my closet. Then I lay my regs spread out over top of the wetsuit. That way the neoprene bubbles can keep their shape and nothing gets tugged out of shape or torn. I do hang my BCD, my booties just go with my shoes, and my fins rest on their side at the back wall of the closet, as to not tamper with their curve too much. My apartment is small, so under the bed works well for big things lying flat.

Back
Top Bottom