Gender v. Water Temp.

What average water temp. do you dive in most often?

• I am female and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • I am female and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 41 19.3%
  • I am male and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 49 23.1%
  • I am male and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 107 50.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I've heard all kinds of anecdotes about this and I've made some anecdotal observations of my own but let's see what the polls say :wink:

LOL.. you have the funniest threads, I swear.

What kind of answers do you expect...?

Personally, I feel colder when diving as a woman than diving as a man. IMHO, YMMV, BIDI.

:)

I'm a very curious person is all. My scientific training indicates that the generalized observed trend has a basis in something other than human physiology but it may also have something to do with geographic region.If I have some data I can do some statistical analysis on it to see if there is a significant correlation etc. We'll see how it comes out :wink: Go vote!

Women tend to have less muscle mass than guys, and muscle mass is what uses calories and generates heat? Possible explanation.

Yes but we tend to have more body fat so we ought to stay warmer longer right?
Thanks to those participating in my poll :D

My wifes's not on the board but she's a cold water gal too.

Pete

I would venture that water temperature when diving correlates much more closely to geographical location than gender...

Then again...

Keep us posted!!

Alex

hee hee, good point but that's not quite what I meant :wink: I was trying to figure out why women who live in cold places seem less likely to dive than women who live in warm places but that's kind of a different poll question. Maybe women who live in cold places dive in warm places making the previous question invalid :06: Do men really stay warmer than women up here or is there some sort of social factor coming into play? :06: :06:

My bad...

Still keep us posted!!

:D

Gidds:
hee hee, good point but that's not quite what I meant :wink: I was trying to figure out why women who live in cold places seem less likely to dive than women who live in warm places but that's kind of a different poll question. Maybe women who live in cold places dive in warm places making the previous question invalid :06: Do men really stay warmer than women up here or is there some sort of social factor coming into play? :06: :06:

I think it's less about the cold water than it is about:

1) The amount of gear/weight you have to wear (and still be cold, usually)
2) There are lots of pretty things to see in warm waters that you just don't see in cold water.

Back
Top Bottom