Morrison Springs 10-2-5 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Philmotrek and I intended on diving the Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores(AL) with a possible dive at Alabama Point Jetties afterwards, but conditions didn't exactly allow. Conditions were great Friday evening with >5' visibility and little surf, however, the winds poured in from the East and the surf was running chest high by Sunday morning with the bottom turned up nicely.

Off we went to Morrison to salvage the day.

We arrived onsite around Noonish to find a few classes in the water along with a few dive groups already diving. There were also a half dozen boats trolling around the spring basin and spring run. There were atleast 4 dive flags out and it seemed to have gotten the boaters attention as they were trolling around slowly.

We headed into the cavern right off the bat during our first dive and explored it until we killed a third of our tanks. We maxed out at 89'. The cavern gnome had been moved, but I put him back in his place. The bowling ball is no longer bobbing in the fissure, its now half buried in a bunch of rubble within the fissure. Dunno if the bobbing of the ball itself caused the cave in or if there were some forcefull helping involved. We checked out the smaller cavern breifly and explored the basin before heading the easternmost portion of the basin and worked our way counterclockwise to the entry point. Dive lasted a bit over 30 minutes and visibility was anywhere between 30-50' depending on how many people were in the water and what part of the basin we were in. The cavern was gin clear as always.

philmotrek had an icechest full of munchies, so our hour long SI was enjoyable. Bananas, oatmeal cookies, Gatorade, and Mountain Dew - good stuff.

Our second dive started off in the cavern as well, again exploring around until a third of our tanks had been used up. Once we finished up in the cavern we headed down the spring run and almost immediately got buzzed by a motorboat racing by, yeah, we were towing a flag. After a few hundred yards down the spring run we turned the dive and headed back in. I saw a school of striped bass about 150 yards from the spring, a first for me at this site. We also saw pike, carp, and the other more common residents(bass, bream, ect). We were buzzed by atleast one other boat on the trip, they were moving pretty fast too. I maxed out at 90' in the cavern and the entire dive lasted a bit short of an hour.

We had alotta fun despite not diving our intended sites. No UW pics, I had planned on spearing a few flounder in the gulf so I didn't bring my UW camera case. I do have a few surface shots I'll post later.

boaters? there were lots of boaters there?

I thought this was a farily isolated spring and from the pics I've seen there wasn't much space there to boat around...

The boaters like to launch from the beach there and hang around the basin a little. They usually head down the run to the river pretty quick. There are many who don't care about divers or swimmers and throttle up in the basin area or keep it opened up until landing. The rule is "diver be ware".

Since SBM didn't post any pictures, I'll post an old one of the bowling ball:

It actually didn't look like anyone launched from Morrison Sunday, all the boats seemed to have launched elsewhere and just motored up to Morrison. I didn't see any trailers in the parking area. Like SY said, they do launch from Morrison regularly though.

Morrison isn't very isolated at all really. You have land access for free, or boat access. The really isolated springs are accessed by boat only, some of them have really shallow spring runs to keep some of the larger boats out in times of lower water.

Couple surface shots, the pic from Gulf Shores really doesn't give the surf justice.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Couple surface shots, the pic from Gulf Shores really doesn't give the surf justice.
I love Morrison. In your pic, you can see the waterline on the two trees flanking the beach. I was there back in August when the water was that high and the beach was just a strip.

Last weekend one of the instructors from my LDS had an OW class going on there. That was most likely him you saw. Big black truck? Chattahoochee Scuba?

But I know what you mean about the boats. We had a nav course going up the run about 100 yds shaped like an L - beginning a few feet from the left big tree toward the cave log and turning right with flags and buoys a few weeks ago. The boaters just zoomed around like no problem. FSU game on the radio seemed more important than paying attention to divers.

But even with the boaters I like Morrison 100x more than Vortex.

Can't remember what vehicles the classes were in, but they had a navigation course setup exactly how you described it.

I've been at Morrison when the water was higher than the cinderblock wall, about 2 weeks after Ivan :D Didn't dive it, but I've seen it! I have dove it in some pretty flooded conditions and still had a blast there. Its gotta be my favorite single spring.

Welcome to ScubaBoard - you'll have to meet up with the rest of us panhandle divers sometime or another. There are a few other really great panhandle springs to dive :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Can't remember what vehicles the classes were in, but they had a navigation course setup exactly how you described it.

I've been at Morrison when the water was higher than the cinderblock wall, about 2 weeks after Ivan :D Didn't dive it, but I've seen it! I have dove it in some pretty flooded conditions and still had a blast there. Its gotta be my favorite single spring.

Welcome to ScubaBoard - you'll have to meet up with the rest of us panhandle divers sometime or another. There are a few other really great panhandle springs to dive :D
Wow, past the wall? Crikey!

You can tell by my profile I'm just a beginner and have only recently been certified.

I own all my gear except for tanks which I can get from my LDS and am just a few hours from I-10. I'd love to get together with you guys that do some springs, but beware, my SAC is HUUUGE - I've smoked for 25 years and have just tried to quit. I'll rip through a AL80 in 30 seconds flat. :nuts:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom