If in WPB area, is trip down to keys worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be going down to WPB for some vacation. I have a little more than a week to kill and would be happy to spend some time driving to different destinations if there were anything different to see. I had considered going down to Key Largo for a couple of days, but would just as soon stay put if I'm mostly going to see more of the same. I know I like the diving in the WPB area. So I'm wondering how much different the upper Keys are?

Thanks,
Dave

Significantly different. Lots of shallow reefs. Lots of different types of formations. Diving is mostly from an anchored or moored boat.

My real favorite in the Keys, though, is Looe Key, about 25 miles from Key West. It's a real nice, shallow, highly defined spur and groove reef.

My recommendation is to take the scenic drive down the Keys, spend a night in Key West, and do a day of diving on Looe Key.

Hey, Dave, as long as you can take a day off YES, I would make time for the Keys. It's just the best diving in the US... well, I grew up in CA and think it's better here anyway. Everybody has an opinion!

You'll need a whole day. AM dives are almost ALWAYS better conditions than PM dives. It's nice to stay down there the night before, and get up and dive the next morning, but I often drive down EARLY from Lauderdale by the Sea rather than stay. You'll be leaving about 3:30 AM and it's a long drive. There are good operators beginning around mile marker 100, I think. Now, if you drive down early and do a couple of deep dives, I warn you that the drive home will be HELL unless you're a long-haul truck driver or something.

Dives are double-dips... usually a wreck and a reef. Most operators check credentials for deeper dives (spiegel grove, duaine, etc.), so see what their requirements are before you book. They're all good as far as we know... there haven't been any threads bashing Keys dive ops, anyway.

Since you won't be back, I'll suggest you do a double-double dip... that's an AM and PM boat - four dives! A couple thoughts: this will probably wear you out. I actually fell asleep on the highway on the road back... didn't even know it was happening until I heard the thump-thump-thump between lanes. I'll *never* do that again without getting a hotel. I do a lot of long drives and I've never fallen asleep before like that.

Anyway, don't miss the restaurants either way - make time for one or two. Little local places are tucked away off the beten path all over, and the Keys has attracted some award-winning chefs. Prices are usually reasonable and each dive operator has a little cluster in their area, so talk to them about it OR after you've picked an operator post here.

PBC has great diving, but if I had the time I'd do the keys for sure! Have a blast here either way!

If you plan on diving the Grove most dive boats want to see an AOW c-card. Or pay extra for a dive guide to go with you.
I dove Key Largo with Its-A-Dive, They take snorklers and divers on the same boat. Mostly shallow reefs. One hour time limit, 2 tank dive. I was very happy with them.

If the weather is bad stay in WPB . With the deep port the boats can go out even with large swells. Drift diving with a strong surge is a blast.

IMHO - WBP area (south to Boca) is an amazing reef... Much more colorful than then reefs in the keys.

However, the diving in the Keys is different entirely, and worth seeing. Points made already are good...

WPB area - Drift Diving... Great Reef 60-70' Deep - lots of fish - good wrecks too.
Keys - Boat Anchors... Nice Reef shallow reefs 30-40' deep... Great deep wrecks.

The drive from WPB to Largo is about 2 - 2.5 hours each way... Staying in the keys is costly as well...

Just a few things to think about also.

In the WPB area... We dive frequently with splashdown divers out of boynton beach. It's an A+++ operation.

Bob3:
I'll often fly into WPB or FLL just to make the drive to the Keys.
I agree on the Looe Key Reef, though it's a much shorter boat ride from Big Pine -Cudjoe.
I don't think any of the Key West boats go up to Looe Key, but you haven't really fully experienced the Keys until you hang out in Key West a bit and wander down Duval St.

If Key West isn't your style, then Parmers Resort on Little Torch Key is convenient to both the Big Pine Key based boats and the 6 pack on Cudjoe. Capt Jim Wyatt/Reef-Divers has moved up to cave country, but the old (305) 515-2750 phone number connects to the new owner/operator (who is also on Scubaboard, but I can't remember her screename).

Well, since you asked, I would say yes. We have some friends in Boca Raton, and we always take the extra time to get down to Key Largo to do some diving. We took some training in and around Pompano, and it was nice, but we have enjoyed Key Largo more.

We dove the Captain Dan near Pompano, and that was fun. I would like to check out the Ancient Mariner (?) in the area. Clearly I have only seen tiny bits of the WPB area, but I would say that you should try to get down to the Keys for a little look-see.

Wristshot

Gosh I think I would rather dive WPB rather than the keys. Just my measly 2 cents. The coral in Key Largo seems to be so dead.

There are some nice places to dive in the Keys but I think if I were you I would dive in WPB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom