Troy and Royal Springs Report - 10-1-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday I was getting paid to work, and taking a diver who hadnt been in the water in a while on a couple dives. So, we headed over to Troy Spring to get refreshed. Not to many people were there, so we got set up and discovered one of my divers only had one fin. Luckily we wer able to borrow someone elses, and headed on into the spring. Visisbility at the surface was great, about 50ish, but when we go to the bottom, the flow was really heavy and was pusing sand around all over the place, dropping viz to 20 or 30 in certain areas. Otherwise, Troy looked great. After puttering around the bottom we headed out into the run to check out the wreck of the Madison, which is till in it susual shape, only the bottom being left. The spring run was also covered in silt and we didnt see many fish. Depth in the run was about 6 ft. On the way back out, I we did some skills checkouts, and he did everything great.

Heading over to Royal we found a few locals swimming, but otherwise no divers. We geared up and headed in. Water level was pretty low, and viz was not so good, around 20ish. Plenty good for diving, although the darkness around the cavern makes it a bit spooky. We did a few tours around the basin, chased some turtles, but otherwise had a short dive. Lots of silt on the bottom, and very little life other than the few bream and lots of turtles.

I shoudl have some pics later. I didnt finish my roll.

Thanks for the report.

I believe I'm gonna try to hit Troy on the way back from the Megadive, the price seems right :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom