First Dives on my DSS BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead

Contributor
Reaction score
This weekend I did 12 dives with my new DSS Single Tank rig. Here is my take on how it compares to my old Seaquest Pro QD+.

First, I didn't have time to do a proper weight check before the first dive, so I just took a guess on weight. I normally use 10 pounds with my Seaquest wearing a 3 mil fullsuit. I decided to go with 4 pounds to start. These were put in XS Scuba weight pouches I had put on the waist strap.

The first thing I noticed was the BP/W wants to put your body in a horizontal position. I normally descend feet first, but with the bp/w, my body naturally moved to a more horizontal position. That took a little getting used to.

Once at depth, I immediately noticed how stable the unit was. No sliding up, rolling around, etc. The main complaint I had about my Seaquest was that it never stayed in one place on my body. I was constantly pulling it down or rotating it. The bp/w stayed put, regardless of my body position.

I felt a little overweighted after the first dive, so I dropped to 2 pounds for the subsequent dives, and that weight was perfect.

After 3-4 dives, I started getting really comfortable with the system. It is very uncluttered, almost like wearing nothing. There are a lot more attachment points for lights, retractors, etc. My trim in the water was much better. My buoyancy was much better just for the fact that I was not fighting my bcd all the time. It was very easy to take apart, clean, and pack away.

I got the adjustable harness from DSS. After fiddling with all the adjustments, between dives a lot of times, I think I should have gotten the Hogarthian harness. The webbing on the adjustable harness is very soft and flexible. I actually only used the buckles on the shoulder straps to take the unit off, not to put it on. It is kindof hard to get both hands of the buckle to connect with the weight of the unit on your back. Once I figured out how to do it, it is very easy just to slide it on and slide it off. I think I will be ordering a Hogarthian harness from DSS to replace the adjustable.

I couldn't be more happy with the comfort. The bp distributes the weight very evenly across the back. There were no pinch points or areas of discomfort. The only minor discomfort I felt was from the webbing just behind my neck. There are a couple of velcro straps that wrap around each shoulder strap where they cross behind the neck. In the water I could not feel them, but walking with the unit on out of the water, they would kind of dig in my neck a little. Again, the Hogarthian harness should eliminate that.

Overall, I am very happy with the system. The comfort, quality, and performance is light years ahead of my old bcd. I am a true convert now. I can never see myself diving without a bp/w!

Thanks DSS! Before ordering this, I called DSS and Tobin gave me a very good lesson on bp/w systems, how they are manufactured, and why he makes his the way he does. I think most of the bp/w manufactures produce quality gear, but I don't think Tobin's customer service or products can be beat.

...thought you'd like it. :D

dirthead:
Once at depth, I immediately noticed how stable the unit was. No sliding up, rolling around, etc. The main complaint I had about my Seaquest was that it never stayed in one place on my body. I was constantly pulling it down or rotating it. The bp/w stayed put, regardless of my body position.

You sure that Seaquest was properly sized for you? I've never worn a Seaquest myself but they are a highly popular brand so I'm thinking it must have been something other than the product which caused you all the movement problems.

No such problems with my Zeagle Stiletto. It's as stable underwater as the DSS.

I know you're going to enjoy your DSS. If I had a need for a speciality BC that's the one I would want, hands down.

dirthead:
This weekend I did 12 dives with my new DSS Single Tank rig. Here is my take on how it compares to my old Seaquest Pro QD+.
Thanks DSS! Before ordering this, I called DSS and Tobin gave me a very good lesson on bp/w systems, how they are manufactured, and why he makes his the way he does. I think most of the bp/w manufactures produce quality gear, but I don't think Tobin's customer service or products can be beat.
Hear-Hear! I just did nearly the same transition (SeaQuest Balance to DSS SS single tank rig with 30# wing). It's fantastic! The unit DOES NOT MOVE (even with a heavy steel tank, even prone-to-supine, even vertical-head-down.) It's comfortable to wear, and easy to don/doff. I love the hogarthian harness...still working on my weight belt configuration. I'm trying the xScuba velcro pockets with soft weights, as I use 5 pounds more with a d.s. than I do with my wetsuit.

Beautiful, ergonomically-correct, configuration of power/oral inflator.

Tobin was helpful beyond the call of retail-duty, both via email and in person. The Wing is beautifully finished, as is the SS plate, including the safety knife/holder.
Al B. also provided a wealth of information and suggestions. What a team!

I like it. Alot.

Don Janni:
You sure that Seaquest was properly sized for you? I've never worn a Seaquest myself but they are a highly popular brand so I'm thinking it must have been something other than the product which caused you all the movement problems.

The Seaquest was properly fitted. The lack of a crotch strap and lack of a hard plate against my back made it unstable. There is so much padding between the small plastic plate that the tank attaches to, that I just can't see how it can be as stable as a bp/w setup. The plastic plate is also very small, allowing it bcd to roll a bit. The size of the backplate spreads out the load on the back, and keeps it from rolling or shifting. The crotch strap is also a big help, except on those giant stride entries from high places!!

I just ordered a Hogarthian harness from DSS. Tobin offered to take the Pro-fit harness back and send me the "Hog" harness and refund the difference in price (thanks for the offer Tobin), but I will keep it. I am not at all unhappy with the Pro-fit. It is very comfortable and works just as designed. I just want to try a hogarthian.

dirthead:
I got the adjustable harness from DSS. After fiddling with all the adjustments, between dives a lot of times, I think I should have gotten the Hogarthian harness.

Webbing is cheap. Use that nicely machined hardware and rig it up!

Blackwood:
Webbing is cheap. Use that nicely machined hardware and rig it up!

This is exactelly what I am thinking about doing. I would like to use the hardware that came with the pro-fit harness and incorporate it into the hog harness. I really like the extra points of connection on the polypoint ring. I have a camera that I dive with and this seems the perfect place to clip my camera off to. I have an extra light head connector that I have also considered for attachment to my webbing. I know that most would attach a bolt snap to the cord, but I like the security of clipping the head of my light off better with this option. I have one of the Hawes lights and wish that they were still making them.

I also did not care for the softness of the pro-fit webbing. It was hard to tell if the waist belt was twisted or not when I was trying to don the rig in my drysuit. All in all I love my DSS rig and have appreciated Tobin's patience with dialing my rig in.

Okay, maybe I gave SeaQuest too much credit for their BC design. I've worn BC's with that plactic plate you mention (my wifes Oceanic has it) yet I don't recall all the rollling and shifting you talk about. She's never complained about it either. The Zeagle doesn't have that plastic plate so the tank rides up nice and close to your back (no plate at all) which may enhance it's stability.

But hey, the DSS is very nice for a bp/w and I'm sure you'll like it.

dirthead:
The Seaquest was properly fitted. The lack of a crotch strap and lack of a hard plate against my back made it unstable. There is so much padding between the small plastic plate that the tank attaches to, that I just can't see how it can be as stable as a bp/w setup. The plastic plate is also very small, allowing it bcd to roll a bit. The size of the backplate spreads out the load on the back, and keeps it from rolling or shifting. The crotch strap is also a big help, except on those giant stride entries from high places!!

I just ordered a Hogarthian harness from DSS. Tobin offered to take the Pro-fit harness back and send me the "Hog" harness and refund the difference in price (thanks for the offer Tobin), but I will keep it. I am not at all unhappy with the Pro-fit. It is very comfortable and works just as designed. I just want to try a hogarthian.

dirthead:
The Seaquest was properly fitted. The lack of a crotch strap and lack of a hard plate against my back made it unstable. There is so much padding between the small plastic plate that the tank attaches to, that I just can't see how it can be as stable as a bp/w setup.

Such problem become pretty obvious since now you are using BP+Wing. I also started with a ProQD+ before crossing over to BP+Wing. I still go back to the ProQD+ for my confine water assistance. I didn't really notice how the unstable the ProQD+ was/is before switching to BP+Wing.

dirthead:
The crotch strap is also a big help, except on those giant stride entries from high places!!

I will definitely avoid giant stride from high places whether I was diving in BP+Wing with the crotch strap or the ProQD+. :11: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom