Halcyon Eclipse, Pioneer or Evolve??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What are the main differences between these set ups? I dive in primarily tropical waters ie Cozumel, Turks & Caicos etc... sometimes I dive in lakes but only when it's mid summer. The Evolve comes out in a few weeks does anyone know anything about it?? Not really sure which one is right for me. Thanks for any help!!!!

The pioneer is a single tank setup as is the Eclipse. The eclipse adds a bladder inside a nylon bag and is very tough. The Evolve is a dual-tank wing, and is only useful if you intend to dive double tanks.

For open water use I'd suggest the Pioneer 27. Nice system, decent price, works well. I got mine a week ago.

That is true. The eclipse needs the Single Tank Adapter (and ships with it) and the Pioneer doesn't. Some claim that the STA makes the tank more stable, other claim it doesn't. I don't have enough experience to know one way or the other. My Pioneer feels pretty darn good to me!

PerroneFord:
That is true. The eclipse needs the Single Tank Adapter (and ships with it) and the Pioneer doesn't. Some claim that the STA makes the tank more stable, other claim it doesn't. I don't have enough experience to know one way or the other. My Pioneer feels pretty darn good to me!

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for your Pioneer? Where did you get it from? Thanks

I purchased my Pioneer from Fifth Dimension (http://www.fifthd.com/). My cost was $485 plus shipping. It was the best price I could find on a new unit. Note, that when I ordered the unit, it was not in stock and I was told in advance of this. The shop is in a cold water area, and the Pioneer is more suited to warmer water so they don't really stock them. It added about a week to my order time. For the cost savings, I was willing to wait.

I recieved courteous service, and prompt shipping. I was also called the day my system was shipped to me, which I appreciated.

PerroneFord:
The shop is in a cold water area, and the Pioneer is more suited to warmer water so they don't really stock them.
This makes no sense whatsoever...

If you live in the keys, don't expect to find a snowmobile at the sporting good store. To me, it makes perfect sense. They probably don't sell a lot of Pioneer 27s in the land of drysuits and double tanks. So it makes little sense to stock them.

PerroneFord:
If you live in the keys, don't expect to find a snowmobile at the sporting good store. To me, it makes perfect sense. They probably don't sell a lot of Pioneer 27s in the land of drysuits and double tanks. So it makes little sense to stock them.
Yes, but they sell Pioneer 36's if you want more lift. So the blanket statement of "Pioneer is more suited to warmer water" is just incorrect.

Ahhh, I see the trouble. I meant to say the Pioneer 27... I was only speaking of what *I* ordered since that was most likely what the original poster was going to be looking for.

Sorry for any confusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom