Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
An idea whose time has come? Yeesh!

http://www.deeperblue.net/newsfull.php/1143

If they're anything like the Canadian government, the tax will go to anything but what it was originally collected for!

Best,
D.S.D.

:crying: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Um, did anyone notice that this is only for New South Wales? I don't think that would pass in the states. We already have to pay for fishing licenses if we wanted to do any spear fishing. Why make us pay for a license to go diving? I don't think that would get too far in the U.S.A.

Firebrand:
Um, did anyone notice that this is only for New South Wales? I don't think that would pass in the states. We already have to pay for fishing licenses if we wanted to do any spear fishing. Why make us pay for a license to go diving? I don't think that would get too far in the U.S.A.

Nah, can't happen here!

NEW ISSUE 5: Funding to support enforcement, education, anchor
buoy, and MPA programs.
Enhancement of enforcement, education, anchor buoys, and MPAs require a reliable funding source.
Current funding sources are not adequate. License funds are currently obtained from fishing activities but
not from diving activities.
GOAL 1
Provide a reliable funding source to support the activities of the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative.
OBJECTIVE 5.1
Provide a new revenue source from the dive industry.
Project 5.1.1. Explore a diving fee to support conservation education, anchor buoys, MPA
activities, enforcement associated with SFCRI projects.
Project 5.1.2. Explore as an alternative to 5.1.1. in it is not possible to put in place, a voluntary
program to collect funds via a not for profit foundation to be used solely to support diving related
needs (education, enforcement, MPAs, anchor bouys).
OBJECTIVE 5.2
Ensure exiting revenues are applied to support SEFCRI.
Project 5.2.1. Work with the FWC to ensure that existing license funds are applied appropriately.
Project 5.2.2. Work with the FWC to ensure that coral reef license funds will be used to support
SFCRI projects.

Canadians have to pay for scallop licenses.. and we can't catch lobster.. and we can't spearfish or knife fish... if we want a feed of flounder or something we have to catch it alive in our bags... So there are enough Rules in place that having to pay for a license to scuba dive in Canada would be too crazy and we would all dive anyway....

Back
Top Bottom