"Do You LIKE Burning Holes in Your Scuba Gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
... with a soldering iron???"

My wife just asked me this question, while watching me burn another hole and waving away the melting stink.

I thought about it. Yeah, I guess I do. I guess I never realized how much a soldering iron was a part of my diving equipment.

Just off the cuff, I can think of six things I've burned holes in. Can you name any??

I wouldn't want to guess where but would like to know if afterword you fill those holes with eyelets? If so where to get the rustproof eyelets and what do you need to install them?

I would like to put an eyelet in myBC - can you guess where?

Don

Rick Inman:

My wife just asked me this question, while watching me burn another hole and waving away the melting stink.

I thought about it. Yeah, I guess I do. I guess I never realized how much a soldering iron was a part of my diving equipment.

Just off the cuff, I can think of six things I've burned holes in. Can you name any??

Rick Inman:

My drysuit. (pee valve)
My harness (top bolt hole)

Hmmmm...I think that is it.

Drysuit for p-valve, hood for venting air, webbing for bolt hole... um........

I put some holes in the foot pockets of my fins, but I don't think I would have gotten far if I had tried to use a soldering iron for that.

I can think of a few things that I burnt holes in (some would say my brain even)... But they're not really scuba related.

well I left a halogen light turned on in my dive bag once and burned a hole in my drysuit neck seal. The stink was amazing. I guess that doesn't count eh?

I was told to burn a hole in the top of my hood, but I shouldn't be wearing it while performing said operation. :D

Does a 12d nail, a small pair of ViseGrips, and a small torch count? :D Considering that I don't have any other use for a soldering iron than poking holes in my gear, I don't own one, so I improvise as best I can.

Actually, I can only think of one time that I poked holes in webbing, and the knife I mounted to my waistband at the time has moved to the very bottom of my gear bag. I need the torch on it's own more often, mainly to singe the end of webbing when I cut it.

I heated up a phillips head screwdriver on my gas range to put a hole in my hood. That wasn't real bright because now my screwdriver has goo all over it.

Maybe I should have taken off the hood first. :11:

No, no that sounds like abuse of my dive gear!!
Although I have thought of taking a torch to my useless snorkel....

Back
Top Bottom