your thoughts pls on equipment choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downunder_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at getting some dive gear, I'm a uni student so I'm on a relatively tight budget. At the moment it's looking like I'll be getting one of the packages at Scubatoys.

Oceanpro FX BC
Atmos Aeris Sport Reg
Slimline Ocky
Nitrox Versa Pro 2 gauge

and a Bare Velocity 7/6mm wetsuit

I've done a lot of research, and am reasonably confident with my selection, but now that it's come to the crunch I'm still very interested to get some feedback!

Thanks!

I know how you feel. I felt that same and posted all sorts of questions phrased in all sorts of different ways designed to elicit different responces and boy did I get them. probably delayed my purchase decision a month.

The packages ScubaToys puts together seem good and well matched. My advice; If you're comfortable with the package go for it and stop worrying.

downunder_diver:
I'm looking at getting some dive gear, I'm a uni student so I'm on a relatively tight budget. At the moment it's looking like I'll be getting one of the packages at Scubatoys.

Oceanpro FX BC
Atmos Aeris Sport Reg
Slimline Ocky
Nitrox Versa Pro 2 gauge

I've done a lot of research, and am reasonably confident with my selection, but now that it's come to the crunch I'm still very interested to get some feedback!

Thanks!

those all look good if you like them, I haven't used any of them. I'm a college student too, I spent $100 for a used BC and $200 for a rebuilt reg, both I've used for 6 years, including 6 months in Sydney. You don't go to UNSW by chance do you?

Moose016:
those all look good if you like them, I haven't used any of them. I'm a college student too, I spent $100 for a used BC and $200 for a rebuilt reg, both I've used for 6 years, including 6 months in Sydney. You don't go to UNSW by chance do you?

Yeah actually I do, second year science degree. Am doing geography and marine science. Did you do exchange at UNSW?

I would suggest you to go better reg than Atmos Aeris Sport Reg - to manage your budget, lower your gauge/computer's price to something else more reasonable. Regulator is your life support, so get a better regulator for a good price. Get a better computer/gauge later. That is what I would do. Good luck!

Fair point I guess my budget could stretch to the Aeris Pro, but am restricted to the package. Or do you dislike the Aeris range?

Deleted double post

I've had good lick with BARE. I have a 5/4 Velocity and 7mm Arctic. What you're looking at is the best of both. Either of Bares hooded vests styles will layer nicely if needed.

Slimline Ocky.... I can't say I've tried it but you should remember that sombody may need to use it in a stressed situation. The similar models I've tried weren't the greatest.

I couldn't find the exact console you mention but it sounds like it includes a computer. I'd suggest skipping the computer for now and going up a notch on air delivery as some suggest. Basic analog gauges will serve you well as a new diver and then when you diving demands it and your budget can tolerate it you can strap a computer to your wrist.

I'm quite sure ScubaToys will do you right on any package of your choice.

Pete

downunder_diver:

Oceanpro FX BC
Atmos Aeris Sport Reg
Slimline Ocky
Nitrox Versa Pro 2 gauge

Thanks!

Thats pretty close to the package I got for my son. The Oceanpro FX BC is a very nice BC. Steel D rings, huge pockets, really top quality construction. The slimline Octo is pretty decent, It breaths with a little more effort than a regular primary but not too bad. If your concened about the regulator or computer just call Larry and he will make you a deal on a custom package.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom