Best place to get wings and back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering a back plate and wings set up. I was wondering where is the best place to get a good deal on this set up. I have been looking at the Dive Rite, but is there anything else people would recomend.

If you will use the "Search Function" you will probably get about a thousand posts on this topic.

ID

Originally posted by cstreu1026
I am considering a back plate and wings set up. I was wondering where is the best place to get a good deal on this set up. I have been looking at the Dive Rite, but is there anything else people would recomend.

A couple of options for backplates-Halycon and FredT. Haclyon can be found at various on-line retailers-try www.extreme-exposure.com and www.fifthd.com. FredT make one heck of a great plate in either SS or AL, and different weights SS. Halcyon are also top notch, but pricey.

The only wings I dive with are Halcyon. They are, IMHO, superior to everything out there.

As I_D mentioned above, do the search to get a feel for what others think also.

Originally posted by cstreu1026
was wondering where is the best place to get a good deal on this set up.
I'm kinda of one~stop~shopper kinda guy so I would just say get the whole package from Halcyon (EE or 5thD) and pay the little extra...

But then maybe you are the kind that likes to shop around....

So shop around and you can piece together a quality rig for less $$... but be sure to get the Halcyon wing... the design is superior as is the construction. The Halcyon wings (especially important for single tank diving with the Pioneer wing) are longer and narrower and wrap up just the right amount on the tank(s) to present minimal drag.

Actually Pug, the Halcyon combo seems to be the cheaper way to go right now. I found a 27lb Halcyon wing/stainless backplate/harness/cam straps for $449 at EZ Scuba in Tampa FL.

Separately:
27lb wing...$279
Extremely nice 316 S/S Backplate with Harness...$114
2 Tank Cam Straps............$64
...= $457

shipping from at least 2 different companies not included.

What is nice about the Halcyon backplate/harness is that it's all put together correctly for you, and includes:
1. Includes a removable backplate pad with pocket (though really not necessary).
2. Rubber bands (innnertube style) and a bungie to tie down the power inflator
3. The crotch strap loop is sewn together with heavy stiching.
4. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, the crotch strap is made of a much softer webbing material than the shoulder straps, making the boys and inner thighs much happier.

the zer

There is a place out of Canada that quoted me $425 US dollars for a Halcyon setup 2 weeks ago. That included shipping. Can't remember the website now though. And the price wasn't advertised on the site. You had to call them.

I was looking at getting another one for the wing and selling the backplate on ebay.....

I bought my TP II and Rec wings from a LDS in North Jersey. The carry the full Dive Rite line and do a mail order/ Online business as well. They are at
www.1877scubausa.com . Ask for Phil. I got the TP II, the rec wing, crotch strap and weight pockets for $400.

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom