DIY Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know or has anyone tried making their own stainless steel back plate in the RP? Given Pinoy's mechanical prowess (how else can all those Jeepney's keep running), making a back plate should be fairly easy. Buying the rigging (straps, d-rings, buckles, etc.) is simple. The only thing that has to be OEM would be the wing.

I'm asking this because my nephew seems to be migrating to the BP/Wing (I'm a baaad influence). A Halcyon/OMS/DiveRite/etc. rig is expensive but wouldn't be that bad if the backplate is made in the RP.

I did make a couple of those backplates. Its relatively easy but the price of producing one for your own use is close to just buying one from Philtech since they manucfacture it commercially.

The best backplates are those that are cut by water jets, they have very nice cut finish very smooth and no need to be grinded. If someone just had a water jet machine here in the Philippines.

Axua:
I did make a couple of those backplates. Its relatively easy but the price of producing one for your own use is close to just buying one from Philtech since they manucfacture it commercially.

The best backplates are those that are cut by water jets, they have very nice cut finish very smooth and no need to be grinded. If someone just had a water jet machine here in the Philippines.

Philtech? How much where they charging? Do you have website?

If your nephew is in the Philippines, I know someone selling a Halcyon Pioneer (or was it an eclipse?) for P22,000. relatively new, about 20 dives on it. I can check if its still available.

edit - made a mistake on the price its P22,000 and its an eclipse not a pioneer. there is another one for sale brand new eclipse P25,000 but its in the province and needs to be shipped here

yup got my SS backplate from philtek as well. works fine. i used an OMS Aluminum BP before i got my SS.

thinking of what to do with my ALum OMS BP.......

VoloaP:
yup got my SS backplate from philtek as well. works fine. i used an OMS Aluminum BP before i got my SS.

thinking of what to do with my ALum OMS BP.......

hey bro im interested i outgrew my ss halcyon backplate and am looking for an aluminum one. is yours al 3lbs?

imho its a hassle to make your own backplate even if you had access to the materials and fabrication. in the end with all the work that has to be done its not worth it just to save a couple of hundred bucks. i wouldnt get the kag bp. i have friends who bought em and i think they do not pre-treat the alum and ss as there is major scoffing in the metal. my halcyon is treated and doesnt exhibit the same scoffing and staining in the metal.

you can also try diverspoint they have the exd backplates for 4000.

Spoon:
hey bro im interested i outgrew my ss halcyon backplate and am looking for an aluminum one. is yours al 3lbs?

How did you outgrow it?

Back
Top Bottom