Equipment Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hoping to use some of you more experienced as a sounding board for my equipment choices....

Aqualung Titan reg
Aqualung ABO octo
Oceanic Veo 250 comp
Oceanic Probe BC

I'll be diving warm water for the time being, and probably a good amount of lake dives locally. Just looking for a confirmation of good choices or a wake-up call before I buy something silly. Thanks, booth

The best advice you could probably being given is buy quality gear the first time. Of course money is the issue but in the long run buying good gear right off the bat is far cheaper than having a room full of old junk that you no longer use and had to/wanted to replace.

With that said I would consider buying a back inflation bc or a back plate and wing, instead of a jacket style bc. The jacket style feels pretty good at the surface for new divers (keeps you head higher out of the water) but bc are made for underwater. The back inflation or wing will keep you in a better trim position in the water. To me the only advantage whatsoever of a jacket style bc is that it has pockets...and pockets are a poor reason to buy one seeing as pockets can be put on your suite or worn seperately. My first bc was a jacket style and is now sitting in the room I told you about.

For me, I would go for higher price on "better quality" regulator than computer since they are considered life-support. Just wanted to let you know what I would do to myself. My first purchase was to buy one of the most expensive computers (Sherwood Wisdom) and cheapest regulator then I realized later that I made a mistake. So I upgraded my reg to Poseidon jetstream odin.

I wouldn't look down my nose at the aqualung Titan...it may not be the most expensive reg you can find but i've used that same reg since getting cert almost a year ago on ~60 dives. Breathes great down to 100' (as deep as i've been) and in water down to high 40's F (coldest i've been in). I've found every shop i've asked can service it. Unless you will be diving beyond rec depths or in temps where freezing is a risk the titan is a solid reg.

I don't know anything about the other equipment but i'd agree with cfenton and say think about a back inflate BC. I've got a triple-l orion and love the "uncluttered" feeling of the front.

The Titan is an excellent reg. Works great and I've seen them go deep and have a number of friends that use them cave diving. I tend to lean toward Suunto computers but heck, I'm prejudiced.
As far as the bc. See if you can rent or borrow from friends to determine whether you want back inflation, jacket or backplate and wings. Once you find one you like and are comfortable with. Hang what anyone says about them. Personally, I'm a jacket man. I have and use all 3 types but just like the jacket best.

cfenton:
The best advice you could probably being given is buy quality gear the first time. Of course money is the issue but in the long run buying good gear right off the bat is far cheaper than having a room full of old junk that you no longer use and had to/wanted to replace.

With that said I would consider buying a back inflation bc or a back plate and wing, instead of a jacket style bc. The jacket style feels pretty good at the surface for new divers (keeps you head higher out of the water) but bc are made for underwater. The back inflation or wing will keep you in a better trim position in the water. To me the only advantage whatsoever of a jacket style bc is that it has pockets...and pockets are a poor reason to buy one seeing as pockets can be put on your suite or worn seperately. My first bc was a jacket style and is now sitting in the room I told you about.

For many divers, BC's with back inflation only results in a face down attitude on the surface. This is especially true if you have a problem with cramps or have to wait for a pickup. To my mind, and outside of specialty diving, the high quality jacket style BC is a fine choice.

Stan

I have to agree that you need to go with the style that's most comfortable for YOU. However, I need to take issue with the face down in the water comment. I too had read that the back inflation BC's caused one to be pushed face-first while on the surface. I mentioned this to my LDS when we were discussing the Dive Rite TransPac (he was actually trying to sell me a more conventional BC). He made a face when I asked him if it pushes you face down on the surface, told me I was reading too much, and had me try it in the pool. Even fully inflated I didn't have that happen. I was told that part of the trick is in how the weight pockets are mounted. Mine sit back a little, but are still easy to dump, if necessary. I haven't had any trim challenges while diving. In fact, it's wonderful to just relax and fly.

All you have to do is lean back and relax on the surface. I haven't felt as if I was being pushed forward yet; even in rough water.

I don't have one, but have heard and read good things about the Titan. You might want to try to go with the Titan LX, if you can (from what I've read). I guess I do read too much!?!?!?!?

Good luck, whatever you decide. That is, if you haven't already taken the plunge (pun intended).

Back inflation vs jacket is strictly a personal preferance. I have used both and there are pro's and cons to both, but there is nothing wrong with a jacket style BC if it is set up properly. I have lost some of my interest in Aqua-Lung since the transition from us Divers but for the price range it is all good dependable equipment and can be serviced easily.

Hey Booth,

Nothing wrong with your list as long as you are comfortable with it and it suits your diving preference. The gear you listed is all reputable.

Bottom line...it'll be your gear. That means no more anxiety over rentals in strange places. You'll have control over its maintenance and care.

Probably very few folks here that haven't made a gear change after their first purchase. There will always be some new piece out there that will catch your eye and burn a hole in your wallet.

Enjoy and Dive Safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom