Quick advice on equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can someone please settle something for me, I have decided on buying the Cressi sub matrix mask , all round good fit etc, any objections from the floor?

But the snorkel is my main biggie at the mo, my friend has got a Cressi alpha II but I keep reading that the Tusa Hyperdry Platina is really good , the first is £15 the second nearly £25 any one got either or can share thoughts before I take the plunge ;-)

After your comfortable you will probably ditch your snorkel because it is dead air.

I use one that I found on the bottom of a lake. (what?!? I cleaned it).

It's a slightly rigid tube with a mouth piece attached, what more do you need to know?

~James

From the responses, I wonder if any of you, including the thread initiator, meant to post in the Freedive Section?

I use the Cressi Alpha II, it's a good snorkel, but many simple ones will work well too for freediving. Avoid the complex and bulky types. Stick to preformed tubes, no drop-away flex snorkels.

Fins are your most important equipment selection. Long blade full-foot pocket models are the way to go.

Chad

i use the genesis one also, it works great..

but yea, unless ur freedivin or snorkeling, a snorkel is the least of ur problems...

if your doing shore dives, a snorkel is a great way to go to conserve air while on the surface, but other than that, theres nothing really more complex about them where u can get ones with purges, or you can get the old school type snorkel with a tube and a mouth piece.

i like the genesis because it wont fill w/ water, but i use it for snorkeling/freediving more so than scuba diving(boat)

The matrix is a great mask. no worries there providing you get a good fix.

any snorkle will do. I personally like the flexy ones as I freediving in a lot of weeds and I find it lets the snorkle "bend" a little and I get less hangups. go for something simple, a purge is nice but not needed, avoid all the marketing fluff that comes with scuba gear. 99.9% of the time simple is best.

good luck.

Chad Carney:
Fins are your most important equipment selection. Long blade full-foot pocket models are the way to go.

Chad

x2

I'd ignore all advice on what mask from here, it depends more on if it fits your face and you like the visibility you get out of it than if it fits my face (I use an Aqualung Mythos). On the snorkel, buy the cheapest one because you'll likely use it for target practice later like I did with mine.

funkyspelunker:
I'd ignore all advice on what mask from here, it depends more on if it fits your face and you like the visibility you get out of it than if it fits my face

been freediving/spearfishing 14yrs. gone through a lot of masks. lots of masks that fit great, have great viz, but quality is so bad it doesn't last a season. you can get good advice from other divers requardless of fit and viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom