How much has Scubaboard affected your gear choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I understand this thread is directly ‘competing’ with two current threads about scuba purchases/gear most ‘regretted/loved’. I was reading them, and came to think about how many bad purchases I have avoided (IMO) almost directly because I started reading scubaboard about week before my check-outs. On the other hand, it has not been avoidance only, also some strong pushes towards looking into some options during this summer of shopping around for basic stuff. Maybe the effect cannot be accounted 100% to the board alone but so much so I could admit that the board was the first place where I started paying attention to something and/or what really helped me make my mind up.

Maybe this is not so interesting to people who owned most of their gear before scubaboard was born but here goes anyway: Which gear considerations, changes, and purchases of yours have been directly/strongly affected by reading this board? What have you gotten/avoided getting into because of comments, opinions, advice, ravings on this board? And how’s it worked for you – happy? Did you fall for something that wasn’t you or are you generally greatful?

Was there perhaps something you kept reading about, wondered about but resisted and then noticed you should have listened to?

I think I’ve gotten so many things to think about being totally new to this hobby that I’ll need another post to consider my list….

100%, as long as you filter out the BS...........if I was a member here when I started diving, I wouldn't have had to replace every piece of gear I owned before. So much for the LDS advise.

I made several choices based on SB input. If had it all to do over again, I would make more choices based on advice I see here. I guess the only thing to watch out for are 'philosophy' issues. I still think you can be a good diver and use standard equipment. ( But I must admit to changing my view on 'tech' diving in general)

Most people make decisions based on information from their sphere of influence. People around them giving information and suggestions that with some careful thought will influence choices. With a bigger sphere of thought and opinions that this board offers, it can bring up many more avenues of choice.

I might have taken much longer to be exposed to the finer points of diving, underwater photography and gear selections if I had only a few options for information. Thanks to the Scubaboard and the divers it represents, those avenues of information have allowed my choices to be broader and more educated.

SB has definitely provided hours of entertainment as I read so many folks TRY VERY HARD to affect others' gear choices.

And there is definitely a lot of great info here, although so much of it is delivered with a fairly heavy hand. There are so many great brands and so much good quality available that there are always at least several good choices to be made.

theskull

theskull:
SB has definitely provided hours of entertainment as I read so many folks TRY VERY HARD to affect others' gear choices.

And there is definitely a lot of great info here, although so much of it is delivered with a fairly heavy hand. There are so many great brands and so much good quality available that there are always at least several good choices to be made.

theskull
You know, there must be some junk out there, but most SCUBA manufacturers are in the business because they love diving, and for the most part, their gear shows it. You may well be better off with one companies gear or another, but mostly it comes down to preference.

Stan

Ok, I open myself to ridicule and reveal ‘concrete things’.

Scubaboard has directly gotten me into (as in I don’t think I would have pursued to find more about these items without being exposed to SB):
TransPac (happy)
Oxycheq wing (very Happy)
JetFins (just trialing them and loving it except for boot fit issues)
Nylon mask strap (handy)
Magna Doodling for those first dives after check-outs when acquiring WetNotes
took way longer than popping to Wal-Mart
UK C4 for AOW instead of getting more expensive lights before I know what I
really want/need

Scubaboard has reinforced my decision:
To delay getting computer until now
Keep computer and compass off console (happy)
Avoid AI computers

Pending 100% Scubaboard ideas: spring straps, STA, gooey books (um)

On the other hand, some very strong opinions on Scubaboard have not been able to prevent me from getting certain things but since I have not yet understood to regret those purchases I’ll wisely leave that list out.

I think this board has helped changed me completely as a diver. The gear configuration was very helpful, although I did find an LDS that I can trust.

I remember before Uncle Pug and I had ever met, PM'ing him about pony bottles. I got a great deal of info there. Ultimately I bought a 40 for deco which now I rarely use.

Much of the gear consideration is based on diving styles. Those that use a long hose will tell you not to waste your money on snorkels. People like Uncle Pug who does his dive and deco planing in his head will advocate not using computers. Those of us who have bought and used every type of BCD will say go directly to a BPW and no it won't float you face down on the surface.

Everything

theskull:
There are so many great brands and so much good quality available that there are always at least several good choices to be made.

theskull
There is also a lot of garbage out there posing as something good for the uninitiated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom